Komet Butterfly Help

Mr Fowler

I had a similar problem with my sequoia. The karabiners on the bridge would slip over the gold rings, really annoying when ascending then the 2" drop as you say. Hence why I got a ring (sequoias don't come with one). I know its not the same but just saying you are not alone with this type of problem! Ring sorted it for my issue though :)

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure that will overcome the issue of it falling into the narrower part of the bridge though. Due to the radius of the loops on the swivel, it may even be worse than the rings.:001_huh:

The swivel loops are wider and flatter than the rings I think - I don't recall experiencing the issue since I fitted mine.

The swivel loops are wider and flatter than the rings I think - I don't recall experiencing the issue since I fitted mine.

Ok, may be worth trying then.

TBH, I ended up ignoring the ring on mine in the end and just clipping straight onto the bridge. Seemed better but the carab could go over the shackle then:001_rolleyes::thumbdown:

You could try putting some heat shrink over the bridge parts where they go from the sheeth to the inner? May "smooth out" the material and so lessen the chance of the ring catching?

Have had Butterfly/dragonfly for a few years and have not suffered this problem, but then the coating on my bridge ends seem to hold up well.

Bing!

I've recently just traded in my komet butterfly for a tree motion. I think it is really good harness and climbed in it for 3 years.

I ended up changing the bridge for one from a that had a braided sheath rather than the smooth one the butterfly came with. This was thicker than the original. this ment I couldn't fit the gates of caribeaners through easily

I see no reason why you couldn't replace it with a piece of rope, fishermans on either end.

This would surely solve your problem, just make sure you leave the required amount of tail (8 times the diameter of the rope I think) or maybe, if that gets in the way use shorter tails and stitch it to make sure the knots dont creep.

I haven't used a butterfly in ages but could you not attach the bridge, using rope, the same way as a tree motion with stopper knots behind the shackle? If not just tie onto the shackle? For security you could use the tree motion bridge. (globe)

Bit bling but works a treat IMO:

Onto the bridge attach: Ring, Petzl swivel, ring: in that order.

This allows you to use the swivel as your main anchor/lifeline attachement, then have the benefit of two rings either side of this to attach a secondary anchor, depending on which side your secondary anchor point is on that particular occasion.

Remember to use something like Locetite thread lock on the shackles after undoing them to insert any new shiny stuff!

May be a bit OTT for some, but I love this set up.