Tree failure whilst dismantling?

Mark Bolam

Years ago I went to look at a medium sized twin stemmed spruce (included at about 10') which had lost a stem in the wind, still plenty of meat left at the split. Priced it and agreed to return in two days to take the rest down (I was young, daft and desperate!). The next night I got a call to cancel the job, and I bet you can all guess why....

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i have also heard of someone doing what jammy has described, although i can't remember what the out come was but that was going back about 10 year!

i have the odd thought with compression forks, but i do think if your head is in it to of priced the job accordingly and all risks assessed 100%, you should be safe as houses.

saying that mine winks quite a few times...........:biggrin:

Years ago I went to look at a medium sized twin stemmed spruce (included at about 10') which had lost a stem in the wind, still plenty of meat left at the split. Priced it and agreed to return in two days to take the rest down (I was young, daft and desperate!). The next night I got a call to cancel the job, and I bet you can all guess why....

you bottled it :confused1::001_tongue:

Its crossed my mind before, when I did this one I took some big lumps off, but I did move around a bit to keep it reasonably balanced. It wasn't as bad as yours sounds though...

PHEWWW , BLIMEY ! ..... Dont normally watch 9 min dismantle vids but that had me sweating :001_huh: Best one for me that really enjoyed it :thumbup1:

Had a ash split in two whilst rigging ,whole side of the canopy split out and rested in a thuja next to it.... One reason why I will always try and rig off a different stem other than one I have anchored too.

Worse experience I had was snatching stems off a poplar pollard and the last stem tore off one side of the tree ... Luckily I had just taken off the half stem i was using for an anchore point that I had already taken the top off and side stroped in to the other side of the pollard bowl, it took about a 40ft section of tree with it when it broke ... Really shock me up!! Tree should of been felled as it was full of white rot and I pity the person who had too redo it as they probably left the regrowth for another 10 years before redoing it again.