Are you putting quotes together tonight?

button1803

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i send a written quote for 90% of the jobs i look at, and specify everything down to stump height, grinding depth, what size stuff will be removed on a reduction etc

I guess you have some sort of standardised form or template for this? I cant imagine writing everything out from scratch for every single quote!

When my time comes, i'll probably be jumping on the written quote bandwagon though. I'd feel safer having something to fall back on, and im a sucker for organisation.

I guess you have some sort of standardised form or template for this? I cant imagine writing everything out from scratch for every single quote!

When my time comes, i'll probably be jumping on the written quote bandwagon though. I'd feel safer having something to fall back on, and im a sucker for organisation.

Standardised layout, then Cut and paste the appropriate stuff. Easy peasy

Almost never do written quotes or a job spec, just hand shake every job.

In 18 years I've only had one customer try it on.

Had a guy today, looked at the job £550+VAT, guy was happy, he asked if I put things in writing, "nope" I say and shake his hand, tell him I'm a man of my word. "Well if thats good enough for MR X, thats good enough for me" he replied (I'd been recommended to him my Mr X)

I always run through the job with them on the day we are doing it, if they try to change things, I pull them up on it, but it very rarely happens.

People are aways happy and away pay, no problem :)

I reckon that once you have long experience, business nouse, good turnover and balance sheet, and a knowledge of your area then there is the ability to work as Mark and Stevie are.

For those of us breaking in to the arb trade, my personal view, from all I've read on here and gleaned elsewhere, is that I must protect myself from customers that play fast and loose. 10 minutes on a method statement as part of a quote or estimate is worth it to prevent a refusal to pay because "the stump is still there!"

I may be 45 and perhaps more worldly wise than the youngsters on here, but protecting my income is every bit as important. Even if the skills are raw and developing, a professional approach to each job will fill the customer with more faith in you and put you above the chancers and cowboys that they see on the TV.

There may be more blank space on fag packets these days, but I aint using one.

I reckon that once you have long experience, business nouse, good turnover and balance sheet, and a knowledge of your area then there is the ability to work as Mark and Stevie are.

For those of us breaking in to the arb trade, my personal view, from all I've read on here and gleaned elsewhere, is that I must protect myself from customers that play fast and loose. 10 minutes on a method statement as part of a quote or estimate is worth it to prevent a refusal to pay because "the stump is still there!"

I may be 45 and perhaps more worldly wise than the youngsters on here, but protecting my income is every bit as important. Even if the skills are raw and developing, a professional approach to each job will fill the customer with more faith in you and put you above the chancers and cowboys that they see on the TV.

There may be more blank space on fag packets these days, but I aint using one.

Exactly

Well you must have some very professional cowboys around your way! :001_huh: Around my way they normally tell the customer a price and once they've dropped the tree through the conservatory they demand twice the cost!:thumbdown:

How many instances can you say for sure a conservatory was smashed and twice the cost was demanded.