Are you putting quotes together tonight?

button1803

The smaller the operation the more options are available for different forms of quoting. As a business grows there are more factors involved, as the information pertaining to each site has to be disseminated through more people.

The client and surveyor need to be clear on what is to be done. All this information, along with tool lists, the SSRA and a MS if required have to be clear and understandable by whomever is carrying out the task.

This level of information is sort of ok to do verbally on small jobs if the guy in charge is also on site or chooses to be on site for at least the beginning of the day to pass on his/her instructions.

I typed out quotes from the word go as I believed it gave a clearer and more professional image. It also allowed my staff to go to site and know what was to be done without me having to be there, (I'd often forget details anyway). Now, the girls in the office process all the documentation, soon to be completely digitised.

A lot of the specifications we get are already written out so that makes it a bit easier. When quoting, when we know we are competing for the work, it helps to write down detail as firstly it may well set you apart from the opposition and secondly it also ensures that we are quoting for the same thing, especially when traffic management, MEWPs and wildlife issues arise. It also allows us to highlight the clients' potential exposure to risk if they choose someone less qualified or competent. Doesn't always work, but it gives us and the client clarity.

The industry is moving on. Many clients expect more and more as part of the service. A written specification and quotation is part of that expectation.

We still thrive on referrals and the human interaction associated with it at the quotation stage is vitally important. We do between £80-150k of quotes a month so with the best will in the world I'd struggle to remember all the detail involved.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic