power head for a chainsaw mill

welsh wood

Hi,I am building a chainsaw mill and I am now at the stage that I need a saw strong enough to drive a 36or42ins bar,has, I dont care how old the beast is as long it starts and turns the chain.

By the way I cant afford new or newish and the budget is low.

hope someone can help or polnt me in the right direction.thanks,Gethin.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At that size and low budget, best bet is a Stihl 075 or 076 (effectively the same saw). Parts are easy to get for them too. You definitely need over 100cc. Could go for an 070 if one turns up.

The cheapest ones will be without bars - for some reason they always make much less on ebay.

You will still need to budget about £250-300 unless you're prepared to carry out daily ebay searches on a whole load of obscure search terms though.

Alec

At that size and low budget, best bet is a Stihl 075 or 076 (effectively the same saw). Parts are easy to get for them too. You definitely need over 100cc. Could go for an 070 if one turns up.

The cheapest ones will be without bars - for some reason they always make much less on ebay.

You will still need to budget about £250-300 unless you're prepared to carry out daily ebay searches on a whole load of obscure search terms though.

Alec

Thanks,just one question about the 070 does it have both tanks on the same side? because I noticed some of the Stihls do.

thanks.

On the 070 the tanks are on opposite sides, so filling up in a cut is not an option. On the 075/076 they're both on the 'up' side when milling. The fuel filler is on the top so can be 3/4 filled using a funnel; the oil filler is on the side on the 076, top on the 075, so again it can be filled up if necessary.

Alec

On the 070 the tanks are on opposite sides, so filling up in a cut is not an option. On the 075/076 they're both on the 'up' side when milling. The fuel filler is on the top so can be 3/4 filled using a funnel; the oil filler is on the side on the 076, top on the 075, so again it can be filled up if necessary.

Alec

Thanks Alec,I was trying to edit the 070 bit but tou got in before me.one more thing,would a husky 181 drive a 36 ins this is about the max the mill can take as it stands.

Big old Sachs Dolmar on fleabay at the mo . Not sure what capacity the engine is but it comes with a 30" bar I think . Also no chain brake so may have been on a mill before ? Both tanks are filled from the same side . ( Its not mine by the way ! )