Which Mog

chrisgilltreesurgery

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

haha yeah my mistake left it in, yeah ours came off acprice imported from a council in

germany just before we got it!! a c price is your man and i could be wrong about the model the plate came off the front grill along time ago! id say avoid atkinson vos ive heard alot of bad stuff about them e.g. rusty run down mogs with superb spray jobs!!

haha yeah my mistake left it in, yeah ours came off acprice imported from a council in

germany just before we got it!! a c price is your man and i could be wrong about the model the plate came off the front grill along time ago! id say avoid atkinson vos ive heard alot of bad stuff about them e.g. rusty run down mogs with superb spray jobs!!

Wise words IMO :001_smile:

your choice of mog will depend on what you want to do, basic mog info, 3 different basic sizes(yes i know theres more, but these are practical)... u900/u1100... older round nosed models, u1000, u1200,u1500, "smaller chassis size" of the sbu range, u1300(usually ex military, basic spec) u1400, u1600,and u2***, large chassis models, you then have the long chassis options on all sbu models, either the model no. folowed by a L, or 50 in the no, ie u1200L. or u1250, both mean the same, then theres the 2000 series, you also have 3.6mtr wheelbase and 3.8mtr wheelbase options, and all this before you start on the gvw's of the ranges, next how many gears do you want, 8, 16, or 24, std, low ratio, and crawler boxes, axle ratios, std and high speed, front and/or rear pto's 540/1000 rpm options, plus high speed straight of the gearbox input. hydraulics,1,2,3,or 4 spool valves front and/or rear three oint linkages, and these are just some of the basic options. as for dealers, atkinson vos, or ac price, form your own opinions, good and bad from both, and yes they can be very expensive to run, or not, if your a good mechanicaly minded person thy are complex, but not difficult to maintain.

I have worked on most variations of the good old mog for more years than i care to remember, and very rarely have ever had to admit defeat, the factory workshop manuals are among some of the best out there, and most mercedes benz commercial dealers are really helpfull. if you decide to go for one, try and test drive as many options as you can before you buy, good luck.....lol, youll need it.

your choice of mog will depend on what you want to do, basic mog info, 3 different basic sizes(yes i know theres more, but these are practical)... u900/u1100... older round nosed models, u1000, u1200,u1500, "smaller chassis size" of the sbu range, u1300(usually ex military, basic spec) u1400, u1600,and u2***, large chassis models, you then have the long chassis options on all sbu models, either the model no. folowed by a L, or 50 in the no, ie u1200L. or u1250, both mean the same, then theres the 2000 series, you also have 3.6mtr wheelbase and 3.8mtr wheelbase options, and all this before you start on the gvw's of the ranges, next how many gears do you want, 8, 16, or 24, std, low ratio, and crawler boxes, axle ratios, std and high speed, front and/or rear pto's 540/1000 rpm options, plus high speed straight of the gearbox input. hydraulics,1,2,3,or 4 spool valves front and/or rear three oint linkages, and these are just some of the basic options. as for dealers, atkinson vos, or ac price, form your own opinions, good and bad from both, and yes they can be very expensive to run, or not, if your a good mechanicaly minded person thy are complex, but not difficult to maintain.

I have worked on most variations of the good old mog for more years than i care to remember, and very rarely have ever had to admit defeat, the factory workshop manuals are among some of the best out there, and most mercedes benz commercial dealers are really helpfull. if you decide to go for one, try and test drive as many options as you can before you buy, good luck.....lol, youll need it.

This is not quite right, 1000,1200,1400,1600, are all the narrower chassis.

The 1300,1500,1700,2100,2400 are the larger chassis.

The 1300L's are the military personnel carriers, that have a narrow chassis.

I've got a U1200 with 10"Jensen on the back and love it.

Ibbetts are a good dealer but down south. Avoid a dealer in Essex.

A basic spec U1200 at 25K may be ok but if it's well spec'd up then you're probably buying someone else's rubbish. Spend as much as you can.

If I had my time again I'd get the chipper on the front as I could then tow a trailer easily. I suffer from chipping up then having to tip off before I can load logs into the chip box, which is very hard work and expensive down time travelling. I do have a 50mm ball on the chipper to tow a 3.5T trailer but it means I have to drive slowly and anyway, 3.5t isn't that much logs. A pickup or Rockinger hitch with a large Agri trailer would be much better.

If you're not a mechanical expert, take one with you when you've come to decision time. That was my other mistake and cost me dearly. Test drive quite a few as they are all so different, that's the other mistake I made.

LWB means more chips. SWB means more manoeuvrable. AC Price make chip boxes with flared out sides. I have one and it carries a lot more than a basic square box.

If you put the chipper on front, have the spout made long enough so it's like that on a Combine Harvester. That way you don't need a roof to contain the chips thus saving weight. Also means you could have things craned or tipped in.

If I could choose again I'd have a U1600 with 10" chipper on the front. It all depends on your specific requirements though.

Don't hurry your decision and don't be swayed by shiny paint. Do everything you can to talk yourself out of buying then you should end up with a great Unimog.