can i cut this off?

James Atkinson

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guess your in the no LOLER brigade them. Too macho for all that H&S crap no doubt

Not at all, I think it's a good idea for a blind fool with no common sense that can't see if his rope or any other bit of kit needs replaced.

I use and inspect my gear every day and have done for 20 years. I just hate being patronised and made to spend money on something I have been doing myself every day for free. H&S is a good thing but it goes over the top and becomes an expensive hindrance more than anything. I value my life and dont need to pay someone to tell me if I am safe or not, I just don't trust anyone with my life except me because I am for sure a better judge of my safety than they are. Sure you can inspect my stuff but why do you have to put heat guns close to it? Why do you engrave the metal pieces? Why is it not free when I am paying for benefit scroungers to sit on their ass? Why am I in a bad mood right now? Why am I not in my bed? Rant over... Goodnight

My grief with it is that it gets caught up in my retrieval shackle rather than the ball and eventually gets pulled off anyway.

Mine does the same, but I don't find it gets pulled off and I like it, because it means I don't need to use the ball.

Not at all, I think it's a good idea for a blind fool with no common sense that can't see if his rope or any other bit of kit needs replaced.

I use and inspect my gear every day and have done for 20 years. I just hate being patronised and made to spend money on something I have been doing myself every day for free. H&S is a good thing but it goes over the top and becomes an expensive hindrance more than anything. I value my life and dont need to pay someone to tell me if I am safe or not, I just don't trust anyone with my life except me because I am for sure a better judge of my safety than they are. Sure you can inspect my stuff but why do you have to put heat guns close to it? Why do you engrave the metal pieces? Why is it not free when I am paying for benefit scroungers to sit on their ass? Why am I in a bad mood right now? Why am I not in my bed? Rant over... Goodnight

:thumbup1:

I use and inspect my gear every day and have done for 20 years. I just hate being patronised and made to spend money on something I have been doing myself every day for free. H&S is a good thing but it goes over the top and becomes an expensive hindrance more than anything. I value my life and dont need to pay someone to tell me if I am safe or not, I just don't trust anyone with my life except me

my sentiments exactly

Sent from my iPhone cos it was

You are coming at this from a very narrow point of view and seem to be taking it as an insult to your intelligence.

LOLER (and PUWER) are bigger than you and bigger than our tiny industry, they cover all industry, there are places in that wider scheme where people don’t have your talents, without the regulation they would not have the ability or authority to check lifting gear and machines (it’s not all PPE).

These checks are to keep them and the public at large safe, as a freelance climber you are just a tiny speck caught on the periphery of something larger, but still bound to the same regulation as the big boys.

I think he was referring to his ppe

I check my own gear, if I got someone to check it for me, as soon as they had gone I would check it again for myself.

However, my groundies climbing gear is lolered by someone else.

I like to be in control of my own life and not put my life in the hands of others when it comes to my own ppe.

Nothing to do with an insult to intelligence :001_smile:

You are coming at this from a very narrow point of view and seem to be taking it as an insult to your intelligence.

LOLER (and PUWER) are bigger than you and bigger than our tiny industry, they cover all industry, there are places in that wider scheme where people don’t have your talents, without the regulation they would not have the ability or authority to check lifting gear and machines (it’s not all PPE).

These checks are to keep them and the public at large safe, as a freelance climber you are just a tiny speck caught on the periphery of something larger, but still bound to the same regulation as the big boys.

I have to agree here. I don't doubt that some of you guys check your ropes as you should but when i was talking to the guy doing our LOLER check (after he failed a split tail with no id tag) he said what happens if the rope in question had a fault you couldn't see on the outside and god forbid someone had an accident. What if the rope involved in the accident was unidentifiable? Lots of people climbing on what could be potentially dangerous ropes!! If they are identifiable these bits of rope could then be recalled if needed and everyone would be covered whereas if the ropes have no id how do you know what spool it came from? Keep the tags? All of them in a neat little bag which will undoubtdly get lost or thrown away!! Sometimes i despair at the chauvanistic attitude that some have towards not only their own but others H&S. Think we need to look at the bigger picture rather than what just annoys us!! Rant over