Do i Buy a Chipper

pos1981

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like to compliment the OP on his willingness to work voluntarily to get some experience, but ditto what scotspines reply. I think these are tough times for new people coming into the trade, they are tough times for many experienced and many are having to cut back and reassess their own situation. All I can suggest is persistence, keep on trying and get your tickets in, eventually you will succeed.

It is very tough and unfortunately not every one who wants to do tree work can, there just not enough work.

Prices are being driven down by too many cutters and not enough work.

I guess if people are prepared to work for nothing or very little for whatever reason (well paid wife, other passive income, whatever) then those like me who need a decent income will go do something else.

It does seem that some people so like the idea of tree work that the money is secondary, for me (although I do enjoy some of it) tree work has always been about providing a good life for my family, so the money is my main concern.

It is very tough and unfortunately not every one who wants to do tree work can, there just not enough work.

Prices are being driven down by too many cutters and not enough work.

I guess if people are prepared to work for nothing or very little for whatever reason (well paid wife, other passive income, whatever) then those like me who need a decent income will go do something else.

It does seem that some people so like the idea of tree work that the money is secondary, for me (although I do enjoy some of it) tree work has always been about providing a good life for my family, so the money is my main concern.

Well said Skyhuck. It really pees me off when newbies start up thinking 'I'll get loads of work by undercutting the competition'.

It's short sighted because IF they're business grows, they're overheads will too. They will then find it difficult to put they're prices up as regulars will be used to it being cheap.

Also, the type of people we all want to work for won't view them as credible contractors because they are too cheap.

I like being a tree surgeon but I too want to make as much money as possible to provide a good lifestyle and reflect the massive effort I put in every month. I don't work 65-80hrs a week for fun!

Well, this just gets my blood pressure up. It's Friday evening and time for red wine.

I've worked for a couple of companies that undercut (even themselves. ie. go cheaper than they were initially prepared to) as a means of winning work, and know of a few others around here that do the same. They all have one thing in common - they cut corners to make up time. This means they either work unsafely, or do an untidy job. Your reputation in this industry is everything. The cheap companies do seem to last but never expand or get into bigger and better contracts.

The company I work for now are a pleasure to work for, most of the time. Jobs are priced to give you the time to do them right, without killing yourself. Everyone works as hard as they can, and the company makes a reasonable profit. This is where my satisfaction comes from. Take that away and its just a job like any other. Let the cheap and the desperate to their own devices. They can have the jobs I don't want to do.

To the OP, keep at it, perseverence will get you there in the end if you are up to it.

if you want experience the send C.V's out then call and tell them you are willing to work for first week for free if need be.

Guy working for me just now called me and says he will work for free...i was not going to have someone work for free but i was impressed with his positive and determined attitude on the phone. He is now on a decent wage for beginner and his knowledge is growing and he will be a good climber. after a hard weeks work he offers to take my chainsaws away with to sharpen and get ready for next week, always invests his money in tree gear and goes climbing on weekends for practice - If you have an attitude similar then you will do just fine.

On the other side i have had guys with no tickets and little exp call me and say they would like 100 a day because of there travel expensies and they have been told they should get that much being a tree surgeon. HEAD IN CLOUDS.

Hi all,

thanks again for the input here. I just wanted to say im not in anyway trying to undercut anyone, I just looking for someone to give me a chance to prove myself.

Im offering to work voluntarily because i understand without experience to someone im next to useless.

Everybody is looking for workers that have experience, how do you get that experience????

Im willing to work hard, ive spend any extra money i have on equipment i now have all my own PPE and will be doing what people have recommended.

The chipper idea was just something that i thought might be able to me out there working. Im not going to do that now thanks to the advice given here.

Thanks again

Ed:001_smile:

The chipper idea was just something that i thought might be able to me out there working. Im not going to do that now

Good to hear, the problem with the chipper idea is your committing your cash without any idea of how you'll get a good return for your investment.

The worrying thing is there's people out there with money (ex-military or a sudden inheritance for example) who if badly advised could lose it all trying to buy their way into the industry.

If you want to invest, invest slowly once you have gained experience and created a network of good associates within the industry.