AA Arborist Tree Challenge - Tree Climbing Competitions

ArbjobsNick

What about oversea's climbers that don't have nptc's or loler check'd gear?

Overseas climbers are welcome to climb but must let us know that they have no NPTC qualifications we can then ensure our trainer judges supervise the climb to ensure climber safety.

If equipment isn't CE rated we have spare equipment available to borrow that will meet our standards and will be covered by our insurers if an incedent were to occur.

If we start bending the rules for a few where to we stop? When we have a climber turn up from some dark distant continent with some hemp rope and a bit of board to sit on and a coconut helmet do we let him climb? This form of climbing may be perfectly accepted in his country.

We have industry standards here in the UK along with AFAG401 and the Guide to good climbing pratice to follow. It is here in the UK we are running the 3ATC events. AA events need to comply and promote safe practice and the best of UK standards.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Overseas climbers are welcome to climb but must let us know that they have no NPTC qualifications we can then ensure our trainer judges supervise the climb to ensure climber safety.

If equipment isn't CE rated we have spare equipment available to borrow that will meet our standards and will be covered by our insurers if an incedent were to occur.

If we start bending the rules for a few where to we stop? When we have a climber turn up from some dark distant continent with some hemp rope and a bit of board to sit on and a coconut helmet do we let him climb? This form of climbing may be perfectly accepted in his country.

We have industry standards here in the UK along with AFAG401 and the Guide to good climbing pratice to follow. It is here in the UK we are running the 3ATC events. AA events need to comply and promote safe practice and the best of UK standards.

Cheers Nick,fully understand

Just wondering as im might compete,I do have climbing NPTC Cs38? but no lolerd kit yet...but no hemp rope :biggrin:

Difficult one SRT is still in its infancy and has yet to be seen as acceptable within the wider industry. I am interested to see if we can have some climbers working on it this year but will have to discuss the whole matter with the Arb Association and our pannel of Judges and safety officers as well as the insurers. So not just down to me I am afraid, but thanks for the thumbs up on the radio interview.

Thanks for the reply, let us know of any developments regarding srt comp climbing, there may be a fair few users who would compete

Thanks for the reply, let us know of any developments regarding srt comp climbing, there may be a fair few users who would compete

I will be talking to the other judges and the AA about this next week I think we need to decide if we are allowing an SRT section in the competiton. I think there have been some huge leap forwards in SRT safety in the last 12 months just need to decide if its considered safe enough to be allowed at 3ATC events. Its not just my decision I am afraid. Will keep you all up to date. Cheers Nick

CE confirms a product meets industry requirements climbing line is category three PPE and as such is independantly assessed annually that it continues to meet this standard.

No Rupe sorry but Poison Ivy is not CE rated. Yale changed the core construction of the rope (a new rope) to produce Poison Hyve which has a yellow tracer and has now passed CE approved. This rope CE rope is also re branded as Blue Tongue in the UK.

Nick, Do you really think I went to the states to buy a rope?

From Honey Brothers website............

Yale Cordage have redesigned the Poison Ivy/Poison Hi-vy rope so that it meets the CE type A standard for ropes. The redesign was very specific and in the end, had very little effect on the outstanding performance of these ropes. The Poison Ivy/Poison Hi-vy ropes we stock are specifically for CE markets. They are not availalbe for sale in the US. The yellow tracer in our Poison Ivy and Poison Hi-vy ropes is unique to the CE Type A approved version of this rope. The yellow tracer is clearly visible in our pictures. The Poison Ivy and Poison Hi-vy sold in the US does not have this tracer nor does it meet the CE Type A standard. Climbers familiar with the Poison Ivy/Poison Hi-vy rope might wonder about this yellow tracer.

End.

My rope also passed inspection from your appointed inspectors so it was obviously ok, or else I would have had to sue you for allowing me to climb on something that is clealry lethal cos it hasnt got a CE thingy and therefore could have snapped at any minute.

I think its all gone a bit silly, we should be welcoming our foreign visitors and just checking their gear prior to the events for wear and tear, not looking to see if its suitable for sale in Europe which is the only difference a CE mark makes, it doesnt make my poison Ivy any safer than an american Poison Ivy.

What about Armor prus cord?

Also, I'm climbing on Sherrils Yellow jacket at the moment, hows that going to go down?

Nick, Do you really think I went to the states to buy a rope?

From Honey Brothers website............

Yale Cordage have redesigned the Poison Ivy/Poison Hi-vy rope so that it meets the CE type A standard for ropes. The redesign was very specific and in the end, had very little effect on the outstanding performance of these ropes. The Poison Ivy/Poison Hi-vy ropes we stock are specifically for CE markets. They are not availalbe for sale in the US. The yellow tracer in our Poison Ivy and Poison Hi-vy ropes is unique to the CE Type A approved version of this rope. The yellow tracer is clearly visible in our pictures. The Poison Ivy and Poison Hi-vy sold in the US does not have this tracer nor does it meet the CE Type A standard. Climbers familiar with the Poison Ivy/Poison Hi-vy rope might wonder about this yellow tracer.

End.

My rope also passed inspection from your appointed inspectors so it was obviously ok, or else I would have had to sue you for allowing me to climb on something that is clealry lethal cos it hasnt got a CE thingy and therefore could have snapped at any minute.

I think its all gone a bit silly, we should be welcoming our foreign visitors and just checking their gear prior to the events for wear and tear, not looking to see if its suitable for sale in Europe which is the only difference a CE mark makes, it doesnt make my poison Ivy any safer than an american Poison Ivy.

What about Armor prus cord?

Also, I'm climbing on Sherrils Yellow jacket at the moment, hows that going to go down?

Unfortunately you dont want to belive everything you read on the internet Rupes. Please feel free to email Jamie at Yale Cordage directly he will tell you the truth about what line has and has not passed CE. It might also help to understood the differances between American ANSI standards and CE standards before you choose a rope to use in the UK. Obviously this rope is for your use and your choice. I am pretty sure climbing on non CE equipment would have invalidated any claim you attempted to make against the comp should you have had an accident.

The judges are there to carry out a cursory check of your equipment based on the fact that you will have also signed to say it all meets UK LOLER requirements (non CE rope passed LOLER, how? but anyway thats another issue) along with the waiver form in which you agree not to hold any of the organisers liable in any way should you injure yourself in any way by taking part.

Blimey why do you guys try to make things so hard for people trying to give you some fun? Stop bucking the system and just play by the rules that are there to try and keep you safe.

I am pretty sure climbing on non CE equipment would have invalidated any claim you attempted to make against the comp should you have had an accident.

So as long as all climbers turn up with at least one piece of non CE marked kit, you wont need insurance. Winner :thumbup:

I was having a cheeky fun poke at the sueing you bit, and it was for endangering my life by allowing me to climb in the first place without the need for an actual accident. My point being that non CE stuff is clearly extremely dangerous!!!!

But if we have all signed the waiver agreeing to not hold you liable then it doesnt matter about CE anyway, if its all legit we cant sue you and if its not CE (but is lolered) then we cant sue you either? Not much point in it being lolered then either?

I am not trying to make it hard for you, and you know I support the 3ATC comps, but my rope is perfectly suitable for use in your comps and everyone has enjoyed the video, so its a bit late to be suggesting its not suitable, and probably too late to be telling honey brothers and others that the rope they have been selling for a couple of years now is not CE rated. Can we all have our money back please!

My actual opinion, and point, is that pre climb inspection by a loler qualified person should suffice, and non CE kit that has been bought in the states or down under (there isnt anylikely hood of it coming from anywhere else) which is recognised by at least one of the inspectors as being fit for purpose and then passed fit in terms of wear and tear, for that indiviudal to use on that day at a non work climbing comp, would seem better than CE everything and loler certificates for those who dont work in the tree industry in this country. (especially as they sign waivers aswell)

In fact my actual point and first question was about having to produce a CS38, but you side tracked me!

I was having a cheeky fun poke

I am not trying to make it hard for you, and you know I support the 3ATC comps, QUOTE]

I know Rupes : ) nothing taken to heart don't worry. :thumbup:

The thing is the 3ATC is now an Arb Association event and needs to be seen to promote the very best of UK Arb practice. I personally would like this to include where possible the use of European CE safety equipment so that god forbid there was an accident (none to date) everyone taking part was fully covered in a legal sence. We always have spare equipment on site for climbers to borrow without havign to make a spacial purchase so there isn't really an argument not to climb on the right stuff in the competitions.

Re: CS 38 We dont really cater for Jo public turning up trying to have a go at the 3ATC with no training. The 3ATC is primarily an event for Tree Surgeons and Arborists who should if they are working in the UK industry already have CS38. If they haven't but are under training or have a lot of experiance or have trained abroad I am sure we can accomodate them by having our experianced team on site to ensure safety and to stop a climber if they start to endanger themselves or anyone else.

Be good to see you back again this year.