New Groundie: You're Fired!!

Billy Goat Gruff

• 3 weeks later...

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All I will say is, I have known chippers do weird things they are not supposed to do especially when relays start playing up. ;)

Also by the side of the A12 you stand a high chance of trucks/vans passing with extremely powerful CB including lorries from other countries (docks), if you didn’t know powerful CB can trigger relays to operate of there own accord, its not unheard of for some CB’s to be 800W+ (legal limit is 4W) - on one of the tractors I use to drive had a 400W CB, if I was to park my 504 pickup running within 40ft of the tractor & key the mic the intermittent wipers would trigger & the high beam lights would flash - (the TW190 electrics are not that well shielded, nor use high quality shielded relay)

Also with a tracked chipper if they are parked on a bit of a hump in the centre of the tracks they will rock back and forth on start-up or as the revs build when the full throttle button is pressed, if branches are stacked in the feed chute then as it rocks it can activate the stop bar momentarily as it rocks one way then by a cruel twist of fate it would only take a small twig to push the feed button & you would have had an uncommanded start of chipping as the rocking down motion also pushes any branches touching the ground towards the feel rollers, besides if an uncommanded start of chipping occurred then you have 2 choices, hit the emergency stop if it’s a danger or just let it complete its cycle if there is no danger. :001_rolleyes:

Perhaps he is like most people including bosses & think that it is imposable for chippers to do uncommanded start of chipping, but some of us know better than to trust any machine 100% with regards to safety systems or unseen external forces - perhaps one of your relays is playing up shorting out 10’s of thousands of times a second making your TW190 look like a Shilka to a passing F16’s RWR (radar warning receiver) & ALR-69 threat warning system triggering the ECM (electronic countermeasures) via the ALQ-131 pod to emit a highly focused electromagnetic beam & multi spectrum modulating radio signal making relays go haywire/trigger all before the pilot gets to override it because you don’t get hostile Shilka in the UK. (the above is unlikely BUT still plausible)

• 2 weeks later...
All I will say is, I have known chippers do weird things they are not supposed to do especially when relays start playing up. ;)

one of your relays is playing up shorting out 10’s of thousands of times a second making your TW190 look like a Shilka to a passing F16’s RWR (radar warning receiver) & ALR-69 threat warning system triggering the ECM (electronic countermeasures) via the ALQ-131 pod to emit a highly focused electromagnetic beam & multi spectrum modulating radio signal making relays go haywire/trigger all before the pilot gets to override it because you don’t get hostile Shilka in the UK. (the above is unlikely BUT still plausible)

Come on, these Timberwolfs are built in deepest Suffolk, they would have thought of that straight away, and built in an auto ALQ 131 overide system!!

• 1 year later...
Perhaps you need to reflect on your own sense of H& S.....no footpath closure(?)..leaving site with inexperienced muppets swinging chainsaws...none too clever either on the face of it imo.....Granted, he seems a bit dull to not notice the lack of truck but you didnt fire him for being congenitally stupid did you? You took him on.....you gotta give him a fair go!

this man talks sense my thoughts excatly,,you left him??? if I could count on my hands over the last ten yrs how many new subbies had put stuff into my chipper without realising the shoot was blocked and oblivious to the smoking drive belts and noise,,i`d be a very lonely tree surgeon,,,,,but they only do it once,,and thats not because I sacked em,,,,,,,

Perhaps you need to reflect on your own sense of H& S.....no footpath closure(?)..leaving site with inexperienced muppets swinging chainsaws...none too clever either on the face of it imo.....Granted, he seems a bit dull to not notice the lack of truck but you didnt fire him for being congenitally stupid did you? You took him on.....you gotta give him a fair go!

Couldnt have put it better myself.:thumbup1:

Whats next when youre backs turned, something through the chipper other than wood just to see what happens? You did right to get rid.

We just got rid of one of our FJF (Future Job Fund) guys for putting something thru the chipper that i had told him not to. We had told him not to put anything with wire or metal on it as it would severely damage the chipper blades. Granted his sacking was coming thick and fast. He had this mindset that he was the dogs gonads at everything (off-roading, chainsawing, brushcutting,etc). He had come from an agricultural background so he was a bit too used to abusing stuff and just buying new kit when the older stuff broke. He had crashed the work truck atleast 3 times (first into a gate[broken lights, smashed tailgate], second time into some bale forks [ smashed headlight, dented bonnet and buckled wing all on driver side], 3rd time into a vehicle stationary at traffic lights [ trashed rad, front bumper broken]) The incident with putting a STRAINING POST WITH STOCK PROOF WIRE AND BARBED WIRE STILL ATTACHED was the final straw for me and my colleagues. I knew imeadiately something had gone through that shouldn't have done with the screeching and sudden stopping of the engine and half a straining post showing out of the feed rollers. My supervisor very quickly told him to go home and to be expecting a phonecall from my supervisors boss. It took us 45 mins to remove the wire from the axle of the flywheel. The blades were completely shot as the chunks had gone past the minimum mark for sharpening. The FJF guy will be getting a bill through the post for the new blades. Do you think this was a bit harsh?