New Groundie: You're Fired!!

Billy Goat Gruff

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right up to the point where you reminded us that he lied, I was thinking you too harsh. I would still, if he hadn't lied. It's not healthy for anyone if there's no trust. Of course we're all surmising on one side of the story. I'm also alarmed at your motivation for concern at seeing the mess. I'd hope it would have been for the hypothetical mother and child rather than the resultant claim. Perhaps it was just a poor choice of words?:001_smile:

Nurture the not so clever ones and keep yourself in employees for ever! Its your business, make it work for you and stop getting caught up in whos cleverer than who!

Good point!

The really smart ones with loads of initiative only end up learning all they can from you then leaving and setting up on their own, after all thats what most of us did :sneaky2:

The less smart ones generally know they would struggle to go it alone, so with the correct supervision and time to get the hang of things you have a good man for a long time.

Perhaps you need to reflect on your own sense of H& S.....no footpath closure(?)..leaving site with inexperienced muppets swinging chainsaws...none too clever either on the face of it imo.....Granted, he seems a bit dull to not notice the lack of truck but you didnt fire him for being congenitally stupid did you? You took him on.....you gotta give him a fair go!

Well Put :001_smile:

i would of fired him and his mate reported in risk assessment log book a near death or severe injury occurrence then reported it to the hse and preserved the scene for inspection by them.then wrote a stern letter to the college telling them wot a rubbish job they were doing of training them. i would of forced them both to stand by a board with a letter of apology to anybody who may of been walking past written by hand. then i would of telephoned the there mothers to say they have not lived up to there expectations and should be disowned by the family.

firm but fair that wot i say

....... seriously though it sounds like you were a tad to quick to fire. though you haven't really give much background to the chap.

i would of fired him and his mate reported in risk assessment log book a near death or severe injury occurrence then reported it to the hse and preserved the scene for inspection by them.then wrote a stern letter to the college telling them wot a rubbish job they were doing of training them. i would of forced them both to stand by a board with a letter of apology to anybody who may of been walking past written by hand. then i would of telephoned the there mothers to say they have not lived up to there expectations and should be disowned by the family.

firm but fair that wot i say

....... seriously though it sounds like you were a tad to quick to fire. though you haven't really give much background to the chap.

YThat lad we worked with who wouldnt be told he should of been fired but we gave him chance didnt we bob....

List of things

- Climbing up a large pop with spikes facing outwards, wouldnt listen to us, he knew better....

- forgetting helmet and not telling us, we go to emergency and me an bob busting a gut turnround to see what he is doing, got his hands in pockets....

- another emergency job, turn around he has disapeered , came back 30mins later, we say were did you go , oh to the toilet in the garage up the road.

- stealing from us, out of bags in the back of van.

- starting fights with other staff that had been there for 10+ years.

- coming in late.

- couldnt climb well

- using the 066 & 088 one handed.....

- - if chain was blunt , didnt have the common sense to think OH it need sharpening.

Thats a few things anyway...

He kept me and bob amused for a while...... and we still laugh...

Thats sackable

We were low on staff or he would of gone earlier but he was funny and he probably would of got a job laying tarmac lol! should of gone sooner but he was fresh off the course and you gotta give people a chance. im a little soft on trainees i know! the spikes was funny though :scared1:

Edited by Bob Rolfe