New Groundie: You're Fired!!

Billy Goat Gruff

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dont take this the wrong way but if you didnt like the opinions then you shouldnt have asked "what you think"

No offence taken at all Dude, Really interested in what you all think. It's just that all the training courses that I've been on say that I should be an equal opportunities employer, So I suppose that I should employ my share of those that are new to the job.

If I'm honest, really the reason why I fired him was not so much what he did, but the fact that he blatently denied all knowledge of it, and told me several times he had no idea how the wood chip got there.

Honesty goes a long way in my books.

worlds full of what if's however were you working on the side of the road the mother and child could have walked past, if so surely under health and safety then i'm sure a footpath closure may have been in order. I think you may have been a bit harsh in this case give him a talking to and give him a chance.

We had closed the footpath and correct signage was in place, but due to the site situation, I was keen to open it as soon as possible after the tree was virtually all cleared up, just the trunk to cord up, and that was well away from the footpath, and I had briefed the crew on the method statement and had done a risk assesment prior to commencing work.

It's very interesting listening to your views, especially as this is my first time at this forum stuff.

I fired him was not so much what he did, but the fact that he blatently denied all knowledge of it,

Agree!

BUT, he was probably fear full of losing his job! and it would appear rightly so.

Your staff need to feel they can admit to their errors, without fear of getting the boot, IMO.

They are both trained on the TW190TR that we operate, so it transpired that he fed them through and then realised there was no van there!!

Was I too harsh in firing him

:

ha ha ha, that hilarious but i would not have fired him..... just reminded him and humiliated him for ever more.

i've seen some of the most experienced arborists do stupid things and read about more on here.

this guy could be a dimond in the rough,

go on give him a second chance:001_tongue:

aye will stand corrected billly goat gruff the fact that he lied is enough you need to trust your staff you give him a chance to own up and he did'nt everyone makes schoolboy errors but you need to be honest about it . he will find another job and a harsh lesson he has learn't

I had some one do the exact same thing only thing was i had caught him smoking weed first thing wich he denied then a very simular chipper experience happened, i had evan caught him skinning up again and given him another warning so i had no worries telling him too go....

Just sack the fricken lot of them and then see how you get on with no employees!

Nurture the not so clever ones and keep yourself in employees for ever! Its your business, make it work for you and stop getting caught up in whos cleverer than who!