New Groundie: You're Fired!!

Billy Goat Gruff

I employed a lad to help out with the ground work. He was built like a brick sh1t house - he could scoop up whole trees in one hand and carry the tools back to the van with the other - no kidding.

I am guessing, due to his size, when something bad started to happen it took a little longer to register before he would realise what was happening.

Chipping brash with my Greenmech we were both feeding it hard and fast. Grabbing a big handfull of brash he shoved it into the infeed. Thats when the noise started, you know, the noise of money p1ss1ng out of your wallet into the great tool maintenance/repair pot.

A flying dive across the brash pile to hit the safety bar - the noise stopped. Turned out to be a 1" diameter iron bar that my man mountain had scooped up in his timber grab arms and stuffed into the chipper.

He was one of the best workers I have ever had, a real rough diamond with many faults and complexities but a wonderful worker. I had to beg him to stay working for me as he sacked himself on the spot due to his stupidity.:laugh1:

Its been a year - anyone know what happened to the lad who could not see the chipper/van and coated the road? I must admit I would have been mad but, after a few minutes and on reflection, another chance would probably have been given.:thumbup1:

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi there I think y were to hard on the poor lad .it's a silly mistake but the sack for it that's tight . Y have to remember y were new once and If y think back at your own mistakes y would see your own mistake in giving him the sack . It should of been a broom and shuvle to clear it up. It's even eaiser to make mistakes on your first day as sometimes y can be so keen to please and do well that silly things can happen . It's lightly the poor lad would of felt a real twit in front of his new work mates that in it's self would of been enough. Give the new lad another chance and lighten up a little . All the best

littletree :001_smile:

Hi there I think y were to hard on the poor lad .it's a silly mistake but the sack for it that's tight . Y have to remember y were new once and If y think back at your own mistakes y would see your own mistake in giving him the sack . It should of been a broom and shuvle to clear it up. It's even eaiser to make mistakes on your first day as sometimes y can be so keen to please and do well that silly things can happen . It's lightly the poor lad would of felt a real twit in front of his new work mates that in it's self would of been enough. Give the new lad another chance and lighten up a little . All the best

littletree :001_smile:

bang on right bud!:thumbup:

Just taken on a couple of new guy's, to help on the ground.

One young lad has done a year at college, and on his C.V. he says he has good excellent key skills, and works well unsupervised.

Well we were doing a Macrocarpa take down on the A12 slip road, lots of traffic etc, and we got the tipper full of chip, so I shoot off to tip leaving the guys to log up trunk etc, and guard the gear (we had every chancer in the district cruise by, several of them twice).

I get back and there is all wood chip over the road?

So I ask around, and nobody knows anything about it. Strange that!

Anyway get back and I grill the new guy's, one doesn't know at all how it got there, so on final interegation, he admits that he turned on the chipper, but the branches went through themselves, well we all know thats not going to happen. They are both trained on the TW190TR that we operate, so it transpired that he fed them through and then realised there was no van there!!

Was I too harsh in firing him

I don't think so it was a health and safety issue, but the other groundie thought that he should have been given another chance.

Wot u think:thumbdown::thumbup1:

I'd just like to thank you for sacking me that day!! it was the best thing that could of happened to me (thank you)

After seeing the errors of my ways and picking my self up, after months of depression. I thought what can I do?

I know I'll started my own tree surgery business, I won some big Value high way contract(luckily with no women and children about)

I now have 20 blokes working for me and all the boys toys to go with it.:001_tt2:

Just kidding!!!..............bit harsh though wasn't it:lol:

green grafter nearly had me going there, love the way this thread is still going two years on. A funny one we had was when we were chipping into back of the transit whilst chipper was on the back of a hilux and transit at 90 degrees to the chipper. chipping all done hilux drives off and then whilst we are all shouting to stop manages to take out a............lamp post, not as strong as they look for the record. Oh person driving was the manager pissed my pants well when he had to make the phone call to head office