Fuel Strike

Treemon

In essence, I agree with this however, it's not just wafer deep.

If the government were to slash prices at the pump they've still got to get the money from somewhere. We would see it added elsewhere or it would be acquired through stealth taxes.

If anyone wants me to join a slow convoy in my Mog on the M25 to protest, I will but I'll probably breakdown causing a serious delay!!

I disagree if taxes are slashed at the pump the Government would have to get it from some where else. At least since I can recall every time taxes are reduced in this country, revenue has ALWAYS gone up. of course that is working with a budget and not being greedy with all that new revenue from all the additional spending that occured from lower taxes. I believe it is a matter of doing with less from the government level down. It seems to me that if the government is not held to the same standards as everyone else, esp when it comes to having a budget and sticking with it than the same results will be achieved for ever. If the VAT Tax could be cut it would cause a rapid expansion of new consumer spending the likes of which your country has not seen in generations, of course that would also mean a cut back of Governemnt services that many in the UK think is included as part of being a citizen or not of the UK. If reductions took place there would be far more to go around and I believe the economy would do much better in the short/long term. My 2 cents worth from the other side of the pond.

easy-lift guy

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only reason strikes don't work any more is because alot of people will quite happily moan about the increase but won't do anything about it and just carry on.

Its about the only thing the French can do right, when they have a strike the whole country gets behind the cause. Not just a few die hards and the other who will winge but cave in far to early. If a strike was to work here everyone has get behind it, not just the tanker drivers.

strikes never did work. All they succeed In Doing is dragging a country to it's knees. We had a motor industry once, killed by the unions and their ridiculous claims. I read somewhere that they used to have people sweeping around the factory floors. Then they were give vacuum cleaners to make them more efficient, so the entire factory went on strike because they demanded machine operators pay. Uttr utter stupidity. Short sighted to the extreme. All striking achieves is pushing trade abroad to China and the Far East.

What good will a fuel strike do, everyone creates a bigger demand for fuel by panic buying, thus proving we can afford it any way.

Revolution? If you really want one, move to Africa and enjoy one there, be very careful what you wish for.

strikes never did work. All they succeed In Doing is dragging a country to it's knees. We had a motor industry once, killed by the unions and their ridiculous claims. I read somewhere that they used to have people sweeping around the factory floors. Then they were give vacuum cleaners to make them more efficient, so the entire factory went on strike because they demanded machine operators pay. Uttr utter stupidity. Short sighted to the extreme. All striking achieves is pushing trade abroad to China and the Far East.

What good will a fuel strike do, everyone creates a bigger demand for fuel by panic buying, thus proving we can afford it any way.

Revolution? If you really want one, move to Africa and enjoy one there, be very careful what you wish for.

Just as sad as it is true:thumbdown:

easy-lift guy

Typical of the selfish attitude in this country. Strikes do no good to anyone :thumbdown:

too true mate, if we we're all self-employed the country would be WORKING its way out of recession!

No right to protest when things are thought to be unfair (decided by ballot)?

Strike is a necessary tool without which the opinions of the masses are no more than hot air. Not to be used at a whim but when needed a legitimate peacefully form of complaint.

It made me laugh when the government said we could not afford a national strike last year - guess it spent all it's money on a national holiday for the royal wedding?

The national minimum wage is £6.08 ph for workers age 21 & over.

There does not seem to be any threshold for benefits

David Cameron attempted to limit it to 26K per anum, but got rejected.

26K is £13.33 for a 37.5 hr week 52 weeks a year

& this assumes no revenue take.

Cant see the point of working if the benefits pay that much.

(dont get me wrong, Im not a sponge, worked all my life but the maths dont make sense any more)

N

People need to realised we are going to have to work like dogs to get out of this crisis, paying more in taxes is the only way until manufacturing get back up off it's knees creating more private sector jobs

People need to stop bloody whining about it and accept it

In a nutshell - yup!

When are people gonna wake up!! Striking will not change a thing, fuel will never be a pound a litre, which ever party are in power they will not change a thing. We should stand up to the bolshis and immigrant trouble makers and say enough is enough now get out.

too true mate, if we we're all self-employed the country would be WORKING its way out of recession!

I think this is the greatest sentiment i'v read on this forum regarding this recession:thumbup1: a lot of people have forgotten what HARD work is and how to do it.