Noob Needs A Chainsaw.

MartinF

Inspite of what Agg221 said :blushing:, curiosity has got the better of me.

I've been looking at the Makita link and some of the saws sound very impressive with good prices too, like this....

Makita DCS500-45P 50cc 2-stroke Chainsaw (Replaces £303.35

What's the score with Makita saws?

Are they any good?

They seem to be very powerful for the money.

Why don't many people buy them?

The one I bought recently is fantastic, and there are several people here who swear by them. It would seem parts are no problem either - I got in touch with Makita UK last week to enquire about parts list, just in case, and they are confident in ability to supply parts. Brilliant handling saw. They're made in Germany too, Makita own Dolmar (the first manufacturer of chainsaws) who make them.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ive had many a dolmar,great saws, i think the dcs on makita saws stands for dolmar chain saw, you wont go wrong with a makita,its a dolmar with a blue jacket on, and for your needs would be perfect imo,good luck

Martin, you should do a CS 30 course before buying a chainsaw. This is the only tool a human can use without a safety guard. It will teach you safety, maintenance and how to use it properly. It's not a bushman. Better to cut the wood, than your self. Money well spent. You will save in the long run through maintenance costs alone. Stay safe.

Thanks for the advice.

I think doing a course is a good idea as I don't fancy doing anything nasty to myself.

My girlfriend is a nurse and she would be really annoyed with me if I did. :lol:

I don't know whether I'll be able to resist buying a saw first though. :blushing:

I do like the look of that Makita.

Certs: Certifications. Chainsaw retailers cannot send you a saw unless you have proven competency by providing certificates. It's fine face-to-face, no qualifications of any sort needed.

I am afraid that is totally incorrect.

Only saw that requires certification to purchase is a top handle pruning saw which needs CS39- and even then it's not a criminal offecnce to do so- just not recommended a retailer do so by the DTI and HSE.

As for face to face or on-line. Makes no difference- that stipulation to only sell on-line to "known" customers is Stihls and Husqvarnas company policy and not legislation. it was brought in to deter on-line selling which in turn saw a price war.

Certs: Certifications. Chainsaw retailers cannot send you a saw unless you have proven competency by providing certificates. It's fine face-to-face, no qualifications of any sort needed.

I am afraid that is totally incorrect.

Only saw that requires certification to purchase is a top handle pruning saw which needs CS39- and even then it's not a criminal offecnce to do so- just not recommended a retailer do so by the DTI and HSE.

As for face to face or on-line. Makes no difference- that stipulation to only sell on-line to "known" customers is Stihls and Husqvarnas company policy and not legislation. it was brought in to deter on-line selling which in turn saw a price war.

Don't be a pedantic git and read before you comment.:001_tt2:

It says send, not sell and we were talking about the choice between a husky and a stihl, both with anti-sendness built in:001_smile:

I did not say it was against the law, nor did I imply that.:sneaky2:

You've made it look like you're talking to yourself now Rover.

Anyway, back onto my "should I buy a makita or Husky" Dilemna. :001_smile:

I have, dunno how that happened?:001_huh:

The makita will probably do you fine, parts should not really be a problem and it does make life a little easier on the wallet.

But...

Think about it man, the best things in life are orange!:thumbup1:

Tamworth piglets are orange, mouldy/ rotten piglets are green

Red Leicester cheese is orange, mouldy cheese is green

Carrots are orange, rotten carrots are greeny brown

Oranges are orange, green oranges are not ripe yet

Orange antifreeze lasts a lot longer than green antifreeze,

I could go on for a bit but, GO ORANGE:thumbup: