what do u think of this

sanny

Ladders - Great for access in right situation. Don't work off them if possible (stropped on or hedges). 20 ft head start up every tree you climb / every time you ever come down = longer climbing career.

I wouldn't use them at all till I got older and wiser.

I find this argument really strange :confused1:

So if you do something less you can do it for longer?:confused1:

So its better do part of a walk by car, then you can still walk when your old? :confused1:

My experience has always been the opposite, I know of climbers who once they got to 35 they started to get a younger climber in for some of their bigger take downs and so they are climbing less, they soon find that even the smaller climbs are getting a bit hard, so they stop altogether. And before you know it they have put on 3 stone :scared1:

I am 39 and do all my own climbing and still love it as much as ever .

I really do subscribe to the "use it or lose it" argument.

I never use ladders or MEWPs.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

, I know of climbers who once they got to 35 they started to get a younger climber in for some of their bigger take downs and so they are climbing less, they soon find that even the smaller climbs are getting a bit hard, so they stop altogether. And before you know it they have put on 3 stone :scared1:

I really do subscribe to the "use it or lose it" argument..

That's absolute slander Dave !

It's actually only TWO stone. :001_tongue:

To be serious, I gotta agree with your reasoning.

When my knee allows it, if I'm honest I do struggle these days when I drag on the old harness .(during and post climb)

Muscle sets are totally different on terra ferma, as to the ones you use arborially

Thank heavens for Nelly :001_smile:

Muscle sets are totally different on terra ferma, as to the ones you use arborially.

I could,nt agree more,but like Skyhuck says dont give up.I love climbing,and at 46 I find it easier than ever having picked up little tricks along the way. My problem is recovery,so I tend to climb every other day. This is me yesterday,I feel tired today but a nice tired if you know what I mean. It felt great to be working again after the christmas break,I never want to stop.

005.jpg.75850eaf497c5f6db6974c9b4e8ddc7f.jpg

Thanks Ed, that's what I meant really.

SkyHuck - I do agree with you. Climbing is what sets us apart from the gardeners!

But body thrusting up that first 20 feet seems daft when you have a ladder with you.

Ever seen the Aussie climbers getting the Bobcat/Dingo to pull them up the first 100 feet of a big Euc? Thats like me. On a 30 foot Birch.....

So if you do something less you can do it for longer?:confused1:

So its better do part of a walk by car, then you can still walk when your old?

My experience has always been the opposite, I know of climbers who once they got to 35 they started to get a younger climber in for some of their bigger take downs and so they are climbing less, they soon find that even the smaller climbs are getting a bit hard, so they stop altogether. And before you know it they have put on 3 stone

I am 39 and do all my own climbing and still love it as much as ever .

I really do subscribe to the "use it or lose it" argument.

I never use ladders or MEWPs.

So whats the reasoning behind you using a crane then? :001_tongue:

Surely using ladders,mewps or cranes have some of the same benefits and also some of the same downsides.

By your thinking you will probably "lose it" quicker than me by using a crane instead of chogging down :001_tongue:

So whats the reasoning behind you using a crane then?

By your thinking you will probably "lose it" quicker than me by using a crane instead of chogging down :001_tongue:

The crane just makes things faster :001_tongue:

With the crane we can do two or three times more work!!, so I probable climb more, not less!!!:001_cool::001_tongue: