Ms261ce refund?

Guss109

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guss, I got a refund. My 261 broke after 4 days, dealer bodged it back together again which I wasnt having after hearing some interesting stories from another Stihl dealer. Basically asked for my money back outright as the tool is not fit for purpose. Statutory rights & all that!

Guss, I got a refund. My 261 broke after 4 days, dealer bodged it back together again which I wasnt having after hearing some interesting stories from another Stihl dealer. Basically asked for my money back outright as the tool is not fit for purpose. Statutory rights & all that!

That's good to know that you managed to get a refund:thumbup: might pm you if there being funny about it an you can tell me more pls

My first saw was a ms 260, still got it, rest of my saws are husqvarna. When the 260 gets retired it will be replaced by a husqvarna,think Stihl have lost their way with these newer saws. 2 years ago I would have brought a Stihl every time. Come to the dark side... You know you want to.

Once you allow an item to be repaired under warranty you have to allow them to keep fixing it within reason.

For a refund you need to asks for it at the first fault.

Thats my understanding anyway.

I'm not sure about that. One fault might be acceptable as a one off on a product that is fit for purpose and of merchantable quality. But if it fails again then the product clearly is not fit for purpose and of merchantable quality. If the supplier wasn't prepared to refund, and it was paid for on a credit card then I would be making a claim to my card company under Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act.

I'm not sure about that. One fault might be acceptable as a one off on a product that is fit for purpose and of merchantable quality. But if it fails again then the product clearly is not fit for purpose and of merchantable quality. If the supplier wasn't prepared to refund, and it was paid for on a credit card then I would be making a claim to my card company under Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act.

have you ever done that successfully?

Surely if you've had it for a whole year you should have made your mind up before!

A fault, even if it re-occurs twice in a year can't be reason enough?

If you do get a refund, go 550xp, it eats 346's for breakfast, then it warms up and works a bit faster still!

The problem with getting a refund or a replacement machine is that there are 3 parties involved,

• the purchaser
  • the dealer
  • the manufacturer

Your contract is with the dealer, but he did not make the machine, so is not responsible for its faults, but it is his problem to put it right.

It is only fair to let him try to correct the issue in the first place. He will be paid for his trouble under the warranty system, but it is unlikely that he will be supported by the manufacturer if he refunds or exchanges the machine. They will expect him to repair it, and it will be his problem to resell it.

In any case I think it is doubtfull that after nearly 12 months a refund will be considered unless the dealer has a very strong business relationship with the purchaser and refunds, or exchanges due to goodwill.

If he is unwilling to exchange or refund on his own back, then he will have to discuss the particular issue with the manufacturer, who may, in the first instance want the machine back to their own workshops for inspection, so be prepared for a little downtime.

These are of course, generalisations, and there are always exceptions.

Good luck.