Ebay schmebay

James_skingley

Is it really worth the risk buying on-line?

Are there any good stories about getting a chainsaw off some one when you havent seen it run or started it...

I`ve just been buggered again buying on line, thought I`d got a bargin

£130 for a 2005 stihl 024.

Took it to my local service depot to get it tuned ready for work...Piston scorched, gaskets blown, gaskets missing!, manifold bent, bolts missing, chain brake loose, throttle switch naff, etc. etc.

Would be £200 to get all the work done. Now a £130 bargin would be £300 pain in proverbial.

Telling the lads at work and all have a horror story about buying from ebay ar a carboot.

Best quote i heard today.."Why would anyone sell a good working saw? Why would anyone think of buying a used saw someone wants to sell?"

Any success stories out there?

Any more numpties like me?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

bought loads of ebay, most of the time with no problem, got a few this week, 1 was a bit iffy but i got it spares or repaire anyway. 390 with a blown top end for 100 quid, 70 for a non genuine pot and piston and it will be a belter. you have to remember what your buying, 130 quid for a stihl chainsaw is bugger all thats spares or repaire money anyway. look at peoples feed back too.

Thanks Arob, I sent the bugger back yesterday so the feller can look over his saw to see what I`m talking about- he reckons it was running great before he sent it....but i`ve got my service depot to write an estimate of the work so if he tries anything funny I`ll go the route of paypal refunds and ebay malarkee.

Edited by James_skingley
not finished yet

you need to be carefully on ebay, I bought a right scrappy yellow mccolloch top handle the other year from a shifty looking builder in cambs ;) it was a right dog, but i knew that when i bought it and bid accordingly got it running within ten mins of getting home and flogged it for nearly double what i payed, which was a bonus

basically with ebay you need to know what your doing if bidding unseen bid as if it may be a dog, it helps if you do your own service and can do the work yourself to keep costs down

you need to be carefully on ebay, I bought a right scrappy yellow mccolloch top handle the other year from a shifty looking builder in cambs ;) it was a right dog, but i knew that when i bought it and bid accordingly got it running within ten mins of getting home and flogged it for nearly double what i payed, which was a bonus

basically with ebay you need to know what your doing if bidding unseen bid as if it may be a dog, it helps if you do your own service and can do the work yourself to keep costs down

may have been me then