My lovely climbing kit!!!

Tree-Fela

Cambium savers can strian your arms a bit, especially when using prussik loops. YOu lose the friction at the top of the tree so that means there is extra weight being held on you arms for that brief second before you slide the prussik up. You will be holding more of your weight on one arm than you have been used to. You will feel it a bit at first, but if you dont have the strength then your in the wrong job!

And as said above, there are more important reasons for having a CAMBIUM saver.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its only a small one just a starting out one 25m, got the new england hiviz 36m coming next week, i have never used a cambium saver even in college i havent,

relly? do ur tutors not tell you to when u set up ur final ancor point for the intended works?

I'm doing CS38 at college at the moment, and there has been no mention of cambium savers.

We're not really being taught how to be climbers, just how to get through the assessment. Cambium savers don't appear in the assessment schedule...

Edit: Actually there is a brief mention, but only as a consideration "if appropriate"

Edited by john k

I'm doing CS38 at college at the moment, and there has been no mention of cambium savers.

We're not really being taught how to be climbers, just how to get through the assessment. Cambium savers don't appear in the assessment schedule...

Edit: Actually there is a brief mention, but only as a consideration "if appropriate"

That sums it up, you get through the assessment but are not really a climber.

Cambium savers are to protect the tree, the reduced friction is merely a side benefit to the climber, so maybe thats why they are not taught?

Wow all this over cambium savers. I have been taught how to use them theoretically but never practically. I understand the reasons why there used eg less friciton on tree, opening wounds etc but as john k said they just get you through the assesment now and thats that no questions asked or what ever as long as you pass then they get there paypacket but strictly speaking 10/10 your guarenteed to pass as the college has there own assessor who gets his cut at the end of each year for it so, thats just my way at looking at things by the way.

we've all got to start with something i guess, i remember after leaving my first firm who had supplied my kit, going to the new firm with nothing but a new 45m rope, hitch and pulley, harness, strop with accessories,helmet, and a pair of spikes, i did not even have a pruning saw, but after a couple of years it turned from fitting in a rucksack to having 2 ropes 2 kit bags, and other little bags of treasure, now i need my truck to carry everything? it all takes time......

as for the cambium saver/rope guide/friction saver just buy one mate, even if the stupid cs38 does not require one......you won't regret it and its about time they changed the legislations on the training if you ask me, a lot of stuff needs to be addressed when it comes to people getting trained or assessed ....(little moan over....:biggrin:)