My lovely climbing kit!!!

Tree-Fela

Hi Maj :thumbup1: sorry to quote you but the word hobby appeared and made me laugh. I climb to make a living and although it can be fun at times it sure as hell aint a hobby to me :sneaky2: Its people that see it that way that seem to do the work for the kicks and the excuse to pose around doing work for peanuts just to pay the Hp on there tools :laugh1:

Nice kit Tree-fela

no danger there jammy:thumbup:, its good to have these types of debates nice to see everyones POV, when i say hobby i don't mean i do it just for the buzz, i love my job and doing it well and efficiently with minimum effort and stress is a must. i like buying new gear and i am a gear junkie, but no more then most on here, i do agree there are people (show boaters) out there that do work for the cost of there HP, i look at my work as a hobby for one reason 90% of it is all i know, which in this world at the minute is very stupid not to have a back up plan......i do feel though, how long most equipment e.g the cambium saver has been out long enough for it to be part of these assessments, not just for reasons to help aid the climber but for the health benefits of the tree, after all is it not why we all do this job?

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no danger there jammy:thumbup:, its good to have these types of debates nice to see everyones POV, when i say hobby i don't mean i do it just for the buzz, i love my job and doing it well and efficiently with minimum effort and stress is a must. i like buying new gear and i am a gear junkie, but no more then most on here, i do agree there are people (show boaters) out there that do work for the cost of there HP, i look at my work as a hobby for one reason 90% of it is all i know, which in this world at the minute is very stupid not to have a back up plan......i do feel though, how long most equipment e.g the cambium saver has been out long enough for it to be part of these assessments, not just for reasons to help aid the climber but for the health benefits of the tree, after all is it not why we all do this job?

Well balanced response and I agree with you :thumbup1:

Just the word hobby that made me draw a line between making a living and making a lifestyle choice :001_rolleyes:

Aye, good response there, sums it up for me as well.

I am sad enough to play with new ideas in my spare time, it's cheaper than my other hobby - boozing!

I call it a hobby because there is no way I would put the amount of hours into something that is "just a job". It has to be part hobby, but it has to pay the bills as well, but that makes it the best of both worlds.

Some poeple "work" in an office, or shop! Imagine the horror of that! Idiots! Then they only have time for hobbies on weekends IF the wife lets them! Muppettry!!

I call it a hobby because there is no way I would put the amount of hours into something that is "just a job". It has to be part hobby, but it has to pay the bills as well, but that makes it the best of both worlds.

Some poeple "work" in an office, or shop! Imagine the horror of that! Idiots! Then they only have time for hobbies on weekends IF the wife lets them! Muppettry!!

If this was facebook I would have 'liked' this comment haha! Could'nt deal with a 40hour week of pure bordom just to put food on the table. Fitness as well, a days tree work is far more than a 45min gym sesh after a day in an office as you'll all know!

In only my second year of climbing I'm still super keen and go climbing recreationally when I'm not at work/college ... hope I never lose the enthusiasm :thumbup:

It certainly is a lifestyle, not a job. To me anyway.

Not had a great deal of cash for shiny stuff for a while. Last thing I got was a new lanyard to go with my new positioner from Santa!

It's a great thing getting a bagful of new kit. I remember getting all mine. Didn't want to use it!

Anyone can sit behind a desk and push buttons, bark orders and have them barked back, photocopy pieces of paper all day and think there the best admin assistant in the world but the fact is there too much of a pansy to get up and get out there and do a real persons job. there just to comfy sitting around on there backside on nice comfy chairs sippin tea or coffee all day probably low fat ones to reduce putting the pounds on in work then have a salad for there dinner which then they run off after work in there local gym and pay a membership for. We get a workout for free, enjoy doing our job except when its dancing down, Sometimes pay is good other times not so good but above all we have got satisfaction in are job and dont wake up each morning going i need a new job this ones crap.

People can push buttons, same as anyone can kick a ball, any one can read numbers the fact is there just money grabbers who havent got a inch of life in them who are sitting on there backside getting fat and lumpy and a hefty bankaccount whilst us old guard provide services to them. Personally if you earn more 100,000 a year you should have to pay 1/3 in tax and national insurance. Am starting to get angry because the fat cats in suits are pooing on the little guy whose just out to earn a good living for himself and his family.

Rant over enjoyy!!!!!