Topping Fail

cordao

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The debate on the depth of the gob is pointless IMO, he cut through the hinge, simple as that.

Something else I find equally pointless(and i see this all the time), is people climbing up to the top of the tree to set a line, then dropping down to fell a big top out. Why on earth not just top it out while you're up there without the need for a pull line.

I'll go with that Steve.

A 10% gob, or 50%. With enough pull and more control on the back cut a boring, accident free outcome could be achieved.

I totally disagree about sensibly knocking out a small top when setting a pull line though.

That would ruin the cum shot....

:001_tongue:

The debate on the depth of the gob is pointless IMO, he cut through the hinge, simple as that.

Something else I find equally pointless(and i see this all the time), is people climbing up to the top of the tree to set a line, then dropping down to fell a big top out. Why on earth not just top it out while you're up there without the need for a pull line.

Good point!!!!!:thumbup1:

:congrats:

Amen to that

"Stump shot", not heard this before, what is it??

Ya.. it simply refers to making the back cut higher than the apex of the notch.. called that in the doug Dent book "professional timber falling" .. pg 68.. even though he has the diagram slightly off..

Steve, though the second point is well taken in many cases, I must wholeheartedly disagree with the former.. Yes he blew out the hinge.. however this was not an easy cut, and whenever faced with a challenge it is best to use every thing possible to your best advantage.. depth of the notch is going to effect the length of the hinge (which is an important advantage) and also as mentioned earlier can often be used to great advantage by placing the hinge back farther towards or even beyond the center of gravity of the top. Certainly not much effect of this particular tree, but something to keep in mind..

I didn't criticize the depth of the notch.. I criticized the guy that said it was too big..

The climber needed more people pulling a pre-tensioned line set higher up in the tree to increase the leverage on a weighty chuck like that. They should have been pulling more in the direction of the hinge as they might have actually helped the top fall the way that it did, by adding additional weight to that side of the small hinge.

I agree that he should have been higher up the tree...cut it higher...and reduced the risk of this happening dramatically.

...and he shouldn't slur his words like that. It will make us think he has been drinking!