Soaking bare root yew overnight

Dean Lofthouse

Dean I have about 100 x 3 and 4ft Yew that need to be planted out , whats the best time of year ? Looking at putting them on the outside of a Oak and Beech plantation in October / November.

I put a few out last year with No wire around them and the deer loved them , I was told that Yew kill's live stock.

Plant either in Sept or March in other words backend or beginning of season, I prefer beginning of season as they start to get established straight away. Most important part is soil preparation, some well rotted manure dug in well, if they are on the edge of a plantation they should do well, I have found if planted where there are already other roots underground, they establish very very quickly be cause mychorrival fungus is already there. Most important is to mulch well if you can't get to them to keep well watered in the first few months

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dean I have about 100 x 3 and 4ft Yew that need to be planted out , whats the best time of year ? Looking at putting them on the outside of a Oak and Beech plantation in October / November.

I put a few out last year with No wire around them and the deer loved them , I was told that Yew kill's live stock.

I can confirm that Yew definitely does kill livestock. Last winter we lost two good animals, the vet opened one up and there was a sprig of yew in the throat. It takes very little to do the deed, and while I love Deans enthusiasm for his hedge, I will stick to hawthorn, field maple and a few other species inbetween

I thought it was the berries that were poisonous. Not the actual leaf. I have been known to be wrong tho ;)

The berries (technically the arils) are actually the only part which is edible, as long as you spit out the little seed and only eat the gooey fleshy bit. Personally I find the texture horrific, but quite sweet...

I thought it was the berries that were poisonous. Not the actual leaf. I have been known to be wrong tho ;)

I thought the same, but now know different. I had a look at the bush that was in the hedgeline, and only a couple of twigs that were hanging over the fence had been browsed off. I estimate that less than a hanful of yew killed both 450 kg animals. If you are cutting yew keep your mouth shut!

Edited by farmer rod
ewe yew!

The berries (technically the arils) are actually the only part which is edible, as long as you spit out the little seed and only eat the gooey fleshy bit. Personally I find the texture horrific, but quite sweet...

Known by by mum as "snotty gogs", I guess the sweetness was important during rationing.

• 4 weeks later...
Been down to the yard today to find some mindless twok has pulled up some of my yews.

Absolutely pointless, leant through the fence, grabbed them and yanked them out. At first I thought they had been nicked, but then found them just thrown in the scrub at the other side of the road.

They had just got established as well

Someone has been at it again over the weekend :confused1:

It really does confuse me as to the point of it. They have just pulled up one single plants this time, you can see the marks in the grass where they have stood and leaned over the fence

I,m going to electrify the fence, stuff it, I,ve had enough