First Aid at work course and Cellox!!!!!

HRG Tree Services

I'm not even allowed to carry a personal kit according to him as HSE will also investigate it's contents in the event of a serious incident.

Surely they would only investigate "its" contents in the event of a seriouse accident if "its" contents were used in that accident.

So, you can have a personal first aid kit that is not marked (with a red cross or anything) and in there you can have whatever you want but of course you cant then use it on saomeone else in an accident and if you did you would be investigated for it.

I think that is what the red cross guy must be trying to say.

If the extra kit is personal, and stays personal then there is no need for it or its contents to ever be investigated. But putting celox onto somebody else could be an infringment of HSE rules as its is not included in a statutory first aid kit, and that is why (as we have discussed) it is not included in the FAW course, which is merely a cover all first aid course for shelf stackers, librarians, tree cutters and all other work places.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Direct pressure and elevation was what i was taught years and years ago but when the **** hits the fan and you are on your own its hard to apply direct pressure and elevation and run for the phone. Running out of options is a really bad place to be. Would be an extra to have something like cellox iI would have thought.

Edited by tomtrees

Hi, I have used Celox a number if times and used quick clot, my thoughts are this.

Forget, quick clot it basically 'burns' sort of so it is easy to cause more problems. It works well but I found it harder to use than Celox.

Celox (bandage type) is excellent. But to get it to work you must reduce the blood pressure (more later). Then you have to force the Celox right into the wound, sometimes you can do this with the bandage complete but sometimes it needs ripping. It must be stuffed right in the wound dirty fingers time - don't worry about infection at this time. Then you MUST APPLY PRESSURE for 2 MINUTES if you don't it won't work. Then bandage tightly and treat other wounds. And package for transportation the casualty will be going hypothermic by now.

Probably the most important part of the whole process is to reduce the blood flow and then treat the wound. Assuming the catastrophic bleed is in a limb apply pressure with a knee in the groin (legs) or shoulder (arms) to stem the flow. You will need all of your body weight. You can see the bleed slow. This also frees your hands to work on the casualty. Once pressure is applied then apply your CAT. The Celox, bandage or wait fir the ambulance.

Never use Celox granules to be honest I'm not sure how you get the press applied correctly, can't say I want to try either.

As a rule of thumb the pressure should hurt more than the wound. The guys I dealt with were all complaint about the CAT not the missing legs/ arms.

Sobering but I hope some finds this useful but never has to use it. Also don't worry about secondary effects, surgeons get paid a lot of money to sort that bit out. If you get it wrong the casualty will bleed out in 2 mins or so, dead men don't come back to life.

We were praised by the surgeons for the work on all casualties we sent back. I no expert just unlucky.

Hi, I have used Celox a number if times and used quick clot, my thoughts are this.

Forget, quick clot it basically 'burns' sort of so it is easy to cause more problems. It works well but I found it harder to use than Celox.

Celox (bandage type) is excellent. But to get it to work you must reduce the blood pressure (more later). Then you have to force the Celox right into the wound, sometimes you can do this with the bandage complete but sometimes it needs ripping. It must be stuffed right in the wound dirty fingers time - don't worry about infection at this time. Then you MUST APPLY PRESSURE for 2 MINUTES if you don't it won't work. Then bandage tightly and treat other wounds. And package for transportation the casualty will be going hypothermic by now.

Probably the most important part of the whole process is to reduce the blood flow and then treat the wound. Assuming the catastrophic bleed is in a limb apply pressure with a knee in the groin (legs) or shoulder (arms) to stem the flow. You will need all of your body weight. You can see the bleed slow. This also frees your hands to work on the casualty. Once pressure is applied then apply your CAT. The Celox, bandage or wait fir the ambulance.

Never use Celox granules to be honest I'm not sure how you get the press applied correctly, can't say I want to try either.

As a rule of thumb the pressure should hurt more than the wound. The guys I dealt with were all complaint about the CAT not the missing legs/ arms.

Sobering but I hope some finds this useful but never has to use it. Also don't worry about secondary effects, surgeons get paid a lot of money to sort that bit out. If you get it wrong the casualty will bleed out in 2 mins or so, dead men don't come back to life.

We were praised by the surgeons for the work on all casualties we sent back. I no expert just unlucky.

Wow - you don't post very often but when you do it's very real! Without having used Cellox and I can only imagined what it must be like. Your experience takes it a big step forward into reality. Thank you.

Thanks. I hope no one on here ever has to use it! I carry it and CATs along with field dressing. I reckon you can sort anything out with those. I view them like a hammer and black tape for my series 2a :)

So, it all comes down to a lack of knowledge and saussage factory style training.

Yes you can carry more industry specific equiptment in your HSE kit if you deem it essential to your individual situation. R/A etc.

RC trainer #2 who was observing today had the opinion of if you have it use it. You must have a HSE kit with an ISO number. That is all. No drugs etc though you can now carry out a seperate RA to carry asprin.

If you wish to add extra dressings including celox and your R/A specifies a need the your ass is covered.

Rupe, nope RC trainer #1 was of the opinion at work I should only have a hse approved kit and that is it. I'm not allowed to use anything else in the event of an accident. Even if it is by me on me.....

Thats kind of crazy! YOu are allowed to carry you own medicines that you have had prescribed to you or bought from the chemist for coughs/colds/asthma/diabetes/headaches the list goes on and on, and you would keep those in a seperate place form the first aid kit, be it your lunch bag or whatever, and when you feel ill you adminsiter yourself whatever you need. Thats is essentially your first aid kit and can have whatever you like in it.

Maybe RC trainer #1 is speaking purely from an accident point of veiw, cut, burn etc. in which case he might be right but I think he might need to get out more!!