Are we reasonabLe on price

Dean Lofthouse

It's allways gonna be like this especially with everyone watching the penny's. A guy I rang last night asked me to do some chipping for him, he has got some trees to take down, he has got experience with a saw but no insurance etc, the people are happy for him to do the work as he is cheap!! That's what we're up against, se customers don't care how many tickets or insurance you have just get rid of the tree cheap! To be honest it's starting to jar me right off, I've worked hard to build my business and then you get morons comming along and doing work for cheap, it's ok saying they won't last or what happens if they have an accident but there are plenty more waiting to take their place.

Edited by Amelanchier
swearing?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's allways gonna be like this especially with everyone watching the penny's. A guy I rang last night asked me to do some chipping for him, he has got some trees to take down, he has got experience with a saw but no insurance etc, the people are happy for him to do the work as he is cheap!! That's what we're up against, se customers don't care how many tickets or insurance you have just get rid of the tree cheap! To be honest it's starting to jar me right off, I've worked hard to build my business and then you get morons comming along and doing work for cheap, it's ok saying they won't last or what happens if they have an accident but there are plenty more waiting to take their place.

I agree totally so what is the answer? The trouble is we have d-heads round here charging double what i do and getting the work!

Edited by Amelanchier
again with the sighs

Mr Bolam, in answer to the... It would take me 2 weeks to earn that...

You should have replied. "Get saving love, I'll be back in a fortnight!"

:lol:

still not as funny as my all time fave wise crack to a clients comment, not me a guy I worked for:laugh1:

woman next door says "I've never been so insulted in all my life"

He says " well you wanna get out more often luv!":lol:

I won't price nowt cheap. Don't climb with a saw meself, but will always subcontract someone who is a properly insured pro who will do a pro job. I'll price the job for what I think it's worth and make sure I make ok money out of it, otherwise it just isn't worth bothering.

I won't price nowt cheap. Don't climb with a saw meself, but will always subcontract someone who is a properly insured pro who will do a pro job. I'll price the job for what I think it's worth and make sure I make ok money out of it, otherwise it just isn't worth bothering.

Now that makes perfect sense to me!

still not as funny as my all time fave wise crack to a clients comment, not me a guy I worked for:laugh1:

My favourite was when this torch nosed lady came over demanding that work stops immediately... She says I am the head Of the local society, chair Of this... Boss Of that and why wasn't I infOrmed?

To which the guy I was working for lifted his ear muff and says ...". Sorry to disappoint love, but maybe your not as important as you thought you were!". Drops his muff and carries on cutting!

I nearly peed myself that day.

Reminds me of a time we were doing a fence and were putting it exactly on the boundary line as requested. Neighbour came out demanding work stop and the fence be moved a few inches.... mate went into one, said "F off and stop being a winker". Few minutes later, the fella came out with drinks! Bit wary about drinking them though....

old boss got a holler from a window when climbing down a pop on a saturday morning,

woman ' you cant cut down that tree, i know about these things, im a naturalist'

boss ' whats running about with no clothes on got to do with anything'

woman ' well your only doing it for the money'

boss 'of course im doing it for the money you silly bint, i'm a contractor, its what we do'

and indeed my work is being ruined by a couple of newly qualified types that have started up in my local area , £1000 beech tree, done for £400, and put in mind in Sweden if your a sole trader you pay as good as 50% tax. i want to go and watch these two numpties trying to take the tree away in there little trailer with out chipping it.

Its true these folk cant survive, but as there is never a shortage of idiots, it cant be a constant grind, as well as these bloody students who are popping up looking for work experience and will work for free (though i must admit, when i need an extra man on the ground.....)

the gripes i read on this are the same as 10 years ago and will probably be the same in 10 years time, though its a life style choice, it takes a special sort of person to get up to the top of a tree in what ever weather and do what we do, just imagine how much fun and excitement you could have if you worked in admin........

Cutting down trees is only 1% of the job you muppet :001_rolleyes:

OMG i find my self agreeing with dean >>>>!!!!:blushing: im not sure whats going on, must be the fact im going stir crazy as im cooped up in the house nursing broken ribs n bits after a nice person decided to try and re-arrnage me and my motor bike... i know what it is i have concusion!!!!! :001_tt2:

But seriously, i disagree with the post that said 'if you under price you dont last long'

IMHO if you under price you are not doing something, that may be grow as a company, it may be H&S stuff, there is a company near me where i know for a fact a discussion went like this with the boss " yep i know the law says you are allowed 28day off but its like this you have the holiday or you have a job"

so people do under price and they do survive the big question is what are they not doing that allows them to be cheap?

and dean well said but i reckon moor like 5-10% of running a tree business LOL

cheers

ho hum