Inglorious Basterds

Tom D

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really, why so?

I have a troubled time with tarantino, kind of think hes a genuis but then sometimes think hes pretensious crap.

Resevoir dogs, genuis. Kill Bill, pretensious crap. But others love kill bill. Kill bill 3 is rumoured to be on the cards, with the Black ladies daughter now grown up and looking for rewenge!!

Pulp fiction, one of the best films of all time but only good at the time, looks dated now.

I think my favourite is Death Proof, but I know its probably his worst film according to general principal.

I agree with pretty much everything you've written mate. I don't really see the hype that surrounds all of his films. IMO its got to the point where all of his films are "masterpieces" just because he has made them. I've got loads of mates that think if they say that Kill Bill etc are their favourite films, it instantly makes them cool. Just don't get it.

Kill bill and dusk till dawn were shite..

Its started now ..

Cobblers! Dusk till dawn is a brilliant film, it's no masterpiece, but it is just great fun. :001_tt2:

Kill Bill has a brilliant soundtrack & some ace locations / set pieces / sequences.

I'm no film snob but I do really enjoy those films for what they are.

Now, pulp fiction on the other hand, I really can't be arsed with that, yet everyone claims that to be a brilliant film... I disagree. I think it's a bit average...! :001_huh::biggrin:

Love Inglorious Basterds... but best Tarantino film...? If not Kill Bill then Dusk Till Dawn which he just wrote & cameo'd in.... classic... George Clooney's brilliant in it...!

Never really liked inglorious, I liked dusk till dawn it was funny:lol:

Best one he was involved with was true romance, is it white boy day!!

Oldman was brilliant in it although he was better in Leon :biggrin:

cloon was awesome in dusk til dawn,oldman was even awesomer on leon:thumbup:(my fav film)

without a de-rail also a good film on after inglorious,the machinist (christian bale)

I agree with pretty much everything you've written mate. I don't really see the hype that surrounds all of his films. IMO its got to the point where all of his films are "masterpieces" just because he has made them. I've got loads of mates that think if they say that Kill Bill etc are their favourite films, it instantly makes them cool. Just don't get it.

I think your right, but I do own every film he has ever made or had anything to do with (except natural born killers in fact, amazon here we come!!) including rubbish like four rooms and curdled. Generally I think every film is good in its own way, and thats the tarantino way, I just think ingloroius is stretched too far. I watched the farm house scene last night and because I know waht happens the tension was not there, I got bored and turned it off, but at the cinema first time round it was great. But yes its deemed cool to like tarantino films even when they are rubbish!

I keep going on about Black Book, its by Paul verhoeven (robo cop, basic instinct, starship troopers, total recall etc) and very much worth a watch, its in his native Dutch (subtitles) and is based on facts (unlike inglorious) and its shocking and moving and very well made indeed.

My other recomendation for those who subscribe to love film and can get anything (I dont I just buy stuff on amazon now and then) is "Tell No one" Great film, French with subtitles, nearly as good as girl with dragon tatoo! (not similar in any story kind of way, just a gripping good thriller)

Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction are fantastic films. I can't see Tarantino making a better film than Pulp Fiction ever. The Kill Bill films are in my opinion a triumph of style over content, great films if you're a blood lusting spotty teen but anyone over about fifteen should really think better if they love the Kill Bill series. They are a badly constructed mess with a hopeless plot, you can imagine Tarantino smiling to himself in the mirror at how clever he is, Kill Bill is essentially cheesy violence lacking a basic logical structure, awful dialogue (that's if you can find much of it in the film) made with a vapid cartoon style. The Emporer's New Clothes. You really wonder where it all went wrong for Tarantino after he made Pulp Fiction, certainly wrong in terms of film making but completely right for his bank balance. He hasn't made a decent film since Pulp Fiction. Tarantino is a two film trick pony. I can wait and wait for the recently announced third installment of Kill Bill. You can hardly call Tarantino a prolific film maker, what's worse is that out of the relatively small amount of work he's created most of it is distinctly average. I'll let him off though as Pulp Fiction is a masterpiece. As a director I doubt many people really rate him as a film maker anymore. More like an over enthusiastic film student that some how managed to make a great film once, maybe it was a fluke. He's an absolutely dire actor as well, at least Hitchcock had the grace to not speak when he made a cameo and kept it very low key.

That's from another film film forum kind of sums Tarantino up.