Was that a ghost?

GardenKit

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry for a long one but I have a couple of unexplained incidents. When I was a teenager I lived in an ordinary detached house not particularly old or interesting etc. Once when a friend came round whilst looking at a painting on the wall he flew back into the sofa, he claimed that he was pushed. Now my friend at the time did like to tell porkys so even though he must have moved 5 foot back from the picture I put it down to balance loss and exaggeration. At the time I was convinced the house was haunted. A couple of years pass and then whilst laying in the bath relaxing an event happens that I can't rationalise. We had a plastic mesh clothes basket next to the bath with a lid on it and on top of this was a small make up bag. Whilst I was in the bath the basket slowly squashed down which then led to me running downstairs naked (thankfully house is empty) and into the garden (thankfully no neighbours in the garden). When I finally gathered my courage and went back up to the bath room the basket was popped back up as normal. I then thought that perhaps the make up bag may have weighed it down but it took me to lean on it before it would squash down. Since that incident sometimes when alone in the house I would hear noises upstairs in the attic like somenone moving around. This would then involve me having to open up the attic door go upstairs armed with a torch and loft hook bricking it thinking someone was breaking in. The noises would continue until I would get to the top of the ladder and then go quiet. Sometimes when the door was closed back up then the noises would start again. In the end it stopped bothering me and I just ignored it, having spoken to my parents about it, dad never picked up on anything but mum would hear the same noises. Then more recently me and the missus are in our 60s council house relaxing on the sofa in the evening and something in the corner of our vision catches our eye and we turn round to see the wooden chair at the computer table rock back an forth as if someone had tipped it back as far as it would go without falling backwards. We both saw it and again I couldn't explain it.

I find it amusing that when an unusual occurence happens folk shot for the bizarre explankations instead of the more likely.

A rocking chair..well settlement in a house, expansion, draughts, it being on an area where passing heavy traffic resonates the floor..even TV sounds could cause resonance..

A laundry basket's strength will vary hugely with heat..steam from the bath? or a chemical leak from the make-up contents or a nearby radiator coming on for a time..even settlement of it's contents will change the strength of it's sides.

..just thoughts..

Easy lift guy, your experience sounds very much the same as what happens to the native people of Papua New Guinea as related by the missionary author Jaki Parlier, in her book "Poking Holes in the Darkness". She had never had an encounter with an evil spirit and did not believe them when they told her what they feared, until it happened to her. Her reaction was very similar to yours also.

Its interesting to see that there seem to be a lot more who believe in ghosts, than believe in God.

Before you leave this vale of tears, you should select 12 men to be your apostles and have them write a book claiming ghosts - including you - are real and do exist and start a new religion with its own rituals and ceremonies. See : Who beliefs in spirits in trees ?