Christians on arbtalk?

Matt Butler

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is what intrigues me about bible interpretation. There are parts which are taken literally and then when something doesn't fit then it's manipulated/interpreted to. It puzzles me.

It puzzled me for a long time, and like others i had a huge chip on my shoulder for a long time, in reference to the way i was brought up and about people in the church that acted in certain ways. I glad to say i have matured and realised that i need to focus on me and my relationship with God, not on how other "Christians" are living. Its not a case of manipulating it at all, its about looking at the background of each text, the time and culture in which it was written, and looking at it in it original language. Sadly some Christians do manipulate it, however so do unbelievers. I would like to pose this question if God is what some people are suggesting they why would he send his son to die for us?

It puzzled me for a long time, and like others i had a huge chip on my shoulder for a long time, in reference to the way i was brought up and about people in the church that acted in certain ways. I glad to say i have matured and realised that i need to focus on me and my relationship with God, not on how other "Christians" are living. Its not a case of manipulating it at all, its about looking at the background of each text, the time and culture in which it was written, and looking at it in it original language. Sadly some Christians do manipulate it, however so do unbelievers. I would like to pose this question if God is what some people are suggesting they why would he send his son to die for us?

I don't know who God is. The only answer I have is that he must be to Christians what any other god must have been to ancient civilizations. Take your pick: Romans, Greeks, Aztecs etc. They needed a god to explain happenings beyond their comprehension. Was 'our' God created for the same reason?

Do modern Christians still believe in the Bible's explanation of the world's creation? Did God think; 'I know, I'll send someone down there and pooh pooh all these beliefs in other gods'? Did anyone actually part the sea, feed five thousand and perform numerous other miracles? Personally I just don't buy into it but good luck to those who do.