Is it illegal to use a chainsaw on someone else's land without doing cs30/31

Ted_165

That is all about "employees".

plus the second paragraph of the first link states "this is not compulsory".

Read on :biggrin:

Don't forget the suggested readings Good for insomnia :lol:

By the way I'm a contractor as well

Edited by Gollum

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You wont find it written down anywhere

It is contrary to common law, no statute is required

That only relates to murder or attempted murder. You can shoot someone without either of those being a factor. Then it is classed as an assault (generally would be GBH with intent) which is an offence in the Offences Against the Person Act 1849. What a sad, pedantic anorak I am!

That only relates to murder or attempted murder. You can shoot someone without either of those being a factor. Then it is classed as an assault (generally would be GBH with intent) which is an offence in the Offences Against the Person Act 1849. What a sad, pedantic anorak I am!

I thought OAPA was 1861? The assault, or rather battery, part was tied in with R v Hopkins 1860. Sorry, I'm an even bigger pedant :blushing:

If you shoot someone the charge will likely be attempted murder rather than assault

As a totally unqualifed but reasonably competent self taught (if untidy) chainsaw operator, with 35 years injury free experience, I think;

(i) the various regulations only apply to employees:001_tt2:Ya boo sucks!

(ii) however liability is the issue, so I would be apprehensive about undertaking work on anyone elses property in case of "collateral" damage, actual or alledged, and the ensuing claimitis.

Cos I/we got too much to lose.

I am led to believe by training providers that tickets are required for chainsaw/pesticide provided you are paid in cash or kind and that insurers will not pay out if tickets not obtained - that includes me as well as employees.

Now- are you saying they are lying- and if that is the case why are we all running around like headless chickens.

Is it just duty of care

or is it just

not wanting to put guys you work with in situations they can't handle

Who can we ask to find out the truth of this

this is an interesting topic, my local village "lengthman" is a farmer and he clears up fallen trees and tidys leaves, yesterday I saw him re pollarding willows with a backhandled saw on a ladder, now from what iv heard he's payed a lot of money for doing not a lot and when he does it's a bad/dangerous job, long story short I could do a better job then him and I wanted to see if the contract came up for tender, turns out the parish employ him and unless he leaves there happy to continue to employing him, where do I stand on mentioning his dangerous work practices to them?