Benifits of being an isa arb member?

swinny

Hi there :)

Just wondering if its going to be benifical to be an isa arb memeber.....

I am very interested in furthering my knowledge, with no one around here willing to give input or any help on the subject.

I was thinking of either the RFS or the isa cert.

I am at the beginning of the ladder in theory arb.

I was looking at becoming a member with the isa to look into doing the cert exam at some point. Was looking into getting the study guide combined with the audio cd. Going for the 140.00 a year package with the 12 anually magazines.

I have only been self employed for a year or so and its quiet and tough at the moment. But thought i can be furthering my knowledge during the quiet parts.

Are there any other benifits from becoming a member? other than the discount on books and the member sticker and magazines?

Would look into purchasing the revision book and audio cd as stated and also the "art and science of practical rigging" maybe a few others at some point.

Although not sure people (customers) will value the isa cert arb round here due to amount of people doing tree work :( but it would be something that i would feel good about doing.

Any opinions and or advice? Cheers

I'm working my way through the study guide, but did not join as a member, when i looked into it, i didnt see any real benifit for me at this time.

What you think of the study guide etc?

I can't really seen much benefits from being a member at the moment other than the addition of the isa member sticker on the side of my truck lol

also the isa has to be re done every 3 years whereas the rfs doesn't? ??

I am very interested in furthering my knowledge, with no one around here willing to give input or any help on the subject.

:001_huh:What sort of help were you hoping for???:confused1:

:001_huh:What sort of help were you hoping for???:confused1:

Well i originally wanted to work under someones wing nd learn from them, but thats gone out of the window i'm afraid.

Not sure what help, its not specific just in general theoretical, inspection/hazard/strength , fungus, allsorts.

Will get some more info on the isa cert and rfs course.

I was looking at becoming a member with the isa to look into doing the cert exam at some point. Was looking into getting the study guide combined with the audio cd. Going for the 140.00 a year package with the 12 anually magazines.

Their BMPs are the best investment there--Pruning, Support, etc... though the Study Guide is a great general reference, and the tests drive it home.

I got a lot out of getting ISA-certified--paid consultations instead of free estimates, etc.--but I am in the US. :blushing:

how do you find out if a company actualy is isa registered?

Hi WoodED,

You don't as ISA Certified Arborist is an individual's qualification, kinda like RFS Cert Arb or AA Tech Cert (both, 'as was' coz now level 2 & level 4 arb respectively), not a company accreditation like 'ARB Approved', for instance, is.

Post back or give me a shout if you need to know more.

Cheers..

Paul

I was thinking of either the RFS or the isa cert.

I am at the beginning of the ladder in theory arb.

I have only been self employed for a year or so and its quiet and tough at the moment. But thought i can be furthering my knowledge during the quiet parts.

Are there any other benifits from becoming a member? other than the discount on books and the member sticker and magazines?

Would look into purchasing the revision book and audio cd as stated and also the "art and science of practical rigging" maybe a few others at some point.

Although not sure people (customers) will value the isa cert arb round here due to amount of people doing tree work :( but it would be something that i would feel good about doing.

Any opinions and or advice? Cheers

No - None - and sorry to p**s on anyones fire working through a study guide :lol:

Being cert arb is a good thing, the only good thing about being a member is the magazine and the ceu,s you get doing the test on the inside BUT that is if it gets sent to the right address!!! The administration side of the isa is a joke I had nothing but trouble after years of complaining even contacted and complained to a guy in America over the phone, still no difference magazine still sent to the wrong house or the wrong company name on the receipt. :thumbdown: