SH ride on advice

carlos

they are the only mower that i have used that pick all the grass up when long and wet, and fill the grass box right to the brim, the box also clipss on quickly, the 'full' indicator is also handy,, and as for the handle being unstable isnt true, havnt tried the newer style but havnt had any problems with mine and my one was abused befor i got it, mine could do with replaceing tho, (2001 model) it has the old suzuki 2 stroke engine and tis running abit poor at the mo.

If you ever get the chance to try a JD let us know what you think.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They all have pros and cons, avoid hydrostatic.

I look after 100's of garden tractors, mostly hydrostatic, as most companies no longer supply manual versions except in the very cheapest models.

In 10 years I have only had to replace 3 hydrostatic gearboxes. but have repaired/replaced many more manual.

I personally would not hesitate to buy hydrostatic, much easier to drive, with a faster work rate, and they do not wear out drive belts like manuals.

thanks for all the advice guys , some good points to think about although unfortunally my work van(and only transport, not that succsessfull...yet!) died on the side of the road today, i think it could be fuel pump issue so ride on purchuse will have to wait.

thanks again carl.

If buying second hand really check the cutting deck. I had a lawnflite and didnt check properly, deck was shot. dropped the deck and welded it, was never the same again.

Bought a Countax been really impressed, all the parts readily available, loads of extras available (scarifiers, sweepers, mulch decks etc).

Also recommend Iseki SG15 really good tough mower

Please can you explain why to avoid hydrostatic?

Just from personal experience I've found the hydrostatic versions to be more problomatic than manual. I've got a 12 year old countax (manual version)that does heavy work on steep ground and never broken down,ever.Friend of mine has a 4 year old hydrostatic version and it's on it's 3rd gear box. Saying that the Estiga ride-ons seem reliable (bar the wobly wheels on the cutter deck)and they're hydrostatic. Just my opinion of them.

As I said before, I have a lot of contact with ride on mowers and hydrostats are realy not a problem.

I think that the bad press comes from those models/brands that use too small (cheap!) a unit for the size of mower. Westwood and countax (same) seem to be cuprits of this.

If these machines are then used (abused) beyond their design limits, problems can occur due to overheating

Quality brands who match the size of transaxle to the mower correctly do not generally suffer problems.

Two of the units that have failed for me have failed in the differential, not the hydro pack. This has been due to heavy towing on slippery surfaces with loads of wheelspin, for which they are not designed.

Please do not be afraid of buying a hydrostatic, but, as with anything used, dont buy anything which appears to have been abused.

I would keep away from Lawnflite due to the high cost of spares, and although controversial, I would also avoid Countax due to poor build quality IMO.

John Deere and Stiga get my vote every time.

I spent a few years cutting grass on a stiga mower in my youth. never had any problems other than changing belts

The earlier 40" decks (front mounted) had timed blades driven by tooth belts. They were never a problem unless used for tasks other than a normal lawn.

If you used yours, as I use mine, to tackle slightly rougher land, and pushed the deck into areas where no mid mounted deck had ever been and found stones, stumps etc, you will have suffered timing belt failure at times.

The new 110cm decks are now V belt driven, so no more problems.