MS261 Needle Bearing (Sproket Bearing Etc)

R0B

im gonna try going to a bareing shop with the plastic unit and see if they dont have a metal alternative, that being said i havnt had any problems with my saw, yet haha,

that's what I would look at doing, or get a different saw.:thumbup1:

Unbelievable when manufactures do stupid things like this, I mean I have never had a problem with sprocket needle bearings collapsing and some of them have been 10 years without a drop of oil or grease!

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As we have a quiet couple of days next week and i have access to a heated work shop with an airline. I am going to strip all our saws down and make notes of anything which the saws need. By the sounds of it our No 2 (ms341) and No7 (ms261) may need new needle bearings or just some extra lube to keep them going..

UPDATE: Spoke to the dealers. They've spoken to stihl technical department, say its a recallable fault. Looks like my saw has been sitting around in the warehouse, as its a heated handle version (they havent got through as many of these it would seem). The fault is apparently bad machining. The clutch drums where machined ever so slightly oval meaning there was some slop in the system, meaning its rattled itself to bits. Stihl are replacing everything around that area (clutch, clutch drum, crank shaft & associated bearings etc) to try to rectify the problem. Hats off to the local dealer for getting the ball rolling so quick.

Hopefully it can hack more than 4 days work without breaking this time. I need my heated handles back in this weather!!!

Edited by R0B

You might be ok wolfman. Is it a heated handle? If so might have more chance of having a problem. The first signs I had was the saw cut out every now and again (particularly with the chainbrake on), it also vibrated abit more than normal, had some little clutch squeeks and it didnt quite sound right on tick over. Probably just something to be aware of and if there is a problem Im sure you should be able to get it easily rectified.