do you warm up before a climb?

cerneARB

do you warm up/ strecth before a climb?  

123 members have voted

1. 1. do you warm up/ strecth before a climb?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i don't warm up but i carry ibuprofen and a tin of firery jack spray in my bag for after a climb. and funnily enough im beginning to like the burning muscles, pain and the smell of firery jack. don't think its good for me though, i should warm up, but theres a lot of things i should do but don't...... ask the wife!

Yes,

Absolutely. I have been an athlete my entire life, and wouldn't think of working against myself in any way, shape, or form. Stretching releases the tension, aka toxins, naturally built up in the musculature. for me, stretching releases my mind from the bodies aches and pains, and allows the natural healing energies to flow. -and when I somehow don't stretch to the extent I usually strive for, I feel it after the activity... -especially climbing.

I have to do a full stretch every morning and on and off through the day, if you are just starting a career in climbing i recommend you join a good gym and explain to an instructor what you do and he will give you the relevant excercises to do. I am 33 and and cant climb full time anymore due to my just get stuck in and live for ever attitude, it catches up on you. I personally think flexibility is better that brute strength. Its my hamstrings and the base of my back that suffers. As for looking silly in someones garden, who cares, its your body and your lively hood. I dont exactly look awesome hobbling about not even been able to lift my 3 year old out the van. There is a big gung ho attitude in tree work, and i used to have it. If you take the time to do a stretch you will take the time to asses your every move and work safely. All the best. Stevie

• 5 weeks later...
hi everyone,

After reading in the AA good guide to climbing it mentions warming up before climbing a tree so as to prevent muscular and skelatol injury.

Just wonered how many off you do it and wether it helps or not?

great idea warmin up just got myself a tennis elbow. not drinkin every night helps with the joints aswell.:scared1:

• 1 month later...

Since the last cold snap we had I've been suffering from pins and needles in my hands and arms at night, this has been getting better recently but I think it could be due to pollarding (heavy use of 200t) while my hands (and nerves) are still cold.

Got a doctors appointment on monday so hopefully will get the all clear but I think i'll be doing some warm ups on those cold mornings from now on!