log cutting

bradshaw groundcare

I process about 50cm3 a year on my own with a small tractor (which you have also), a pto splitter that will do billets (1.2m lengths), a small diy rack that holds about 30 billets at a time and a slightly bigger chainsaw then you have (ms261). Once the rack is loaded with billets in a horizontal fashion its just 4 cross cuts and nearly 1/2cm3 in 5 mins cutting. Much faster then the old fashioned two man saw horse system I used to use like yourself. I can process about 2 - 2.5cm3 on a tank load.

The biggest investment was the pto splitter (but still 75% cheaper then a basic processor), but it should last in this kind of domestic environment. Sell a few sticks to friends and family for a season and you'll get your money back for this easily.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I process about 50cm3 a year on my own with a small tractor (which you have also), a pto splitter that will do billets (1.2m lengths), a small diy rack that holds about 30 billets at a time and a slightly bigger chainsaw then you have (ms261). Once the rack is loaded with billets in a horizontal fashion its just 4 cross cuts and nearly 1/2cm3 in 5 mins cutting. Much faster then the old fashioned two man saw horse system I used to use like yourself. I can process about 2 - 2.5cm3 on a tank load.

The biggest investment was the pto splitter (but still 75% cheaper then a basic processor), but it should last in this kind of domestic environment. Sell a few sticks to friends and family for a season and you'll get your money back for this easily.

rowan, i'd also be very interested in seeing your billet rack

thanks i think a new saw will be on order :thumbup: ms261

MS181 4.6kg

MS261 5.2kg

That's over 10% heavier and you will feel the difference after half an hours use.

I would like to see the evidence that a larger pitch chain stays sharper for longer than a smaller one. It's news to me- I was of the understanding a lots of factors govern the prolonged sharpness of a chain, but never the difference between a 3/8" LP or .325".

I find it quite funny that we agree on absolutely nothing. Your view is completely the oposite to mine I guess thats the great thing about a forum. I hope we dont confuse the original poster.

My view, I have a ms 181 and a 260 if I was cross cutting 6" cord I would not pick up the 181 . If I could not handle the weight of a 260 I would look for a different job. I spend alot of days cross cutting with an old ms390 putting 10-15 tanks through. A 460 is heavy by lunch time but an ms260 ?

If you buy in cord alot of it will probably be 3" some 16" and the rest 6-10" so 25% will be too small to process efficiently 25% will be too big to go through processor. I would go with a good auto return vertical splitter and bigger saw unless you are going to do more than 250 tonnes a year.

Reference the MS181 v MS261

I have now seen comments on a couple of threads saying that a 261 will be very little quicker cutting than a 181

Where do these people get their ideas from? A 181 is an underpowered domestic saw which wont sustain a cut through 200 mm dia softwood without easing back, on the same bit of wood a 261 will pull straight through in a fraction of the time.

I dont use saws for a living, but test many saws on a captive cord, taking off aprox 10 mm discs so as not to waste too much wood,so many different saws get to cut the same bit of cordwood. Very easy to compare performance in this way and the 261 is exceptional.

I know some others will disagree, but cannot understand why.