Charges for use of vehicle

swinny

If you don't have Hire or Reward on your policy then charging for use of your vehicle will invalidate your insurance. Make sure your invoice does not mention a value for its use.

the vehicle is clearly a commercial vehicle, by using it in your day to day work it is effectively 'for reward' regardless of who you are working for..?? or am i missing something here?? :blushing:

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the vehicle is clearly a commercial vehicle, by using it in your day to day work it is effectively 'for reward' regardless of who you are working for..?? or am i missing something here?? :blushing:

There is more than one type of commercial policy. For example, my policy covers me for driving to and from places of work but would not cover me for log deliveries :001_smile:

Hi all, £50 a day sounds cheap to me. Bear in mind if your work vehicle was of the road for the day you would loose a site more than 50 quid. sometimes you dont realise how much you take them for granted I always try to keep on top of maintanence etc. I would off thought a pick up working and towing has to be worth 80 sheets all day long.

Hi all, £50 a day sounds cheap to me. Bear in mind if your work vehicle was of the road for the day you would loose a site more than 50 quid. sometimes you dont realise how much you take them for granted I always try to keep on top of maintanence etc. I would off thought a pick up working and towing has to be worth 80 sheets all day long.

Problem is a working tipper with mot can be brought for about fifteen hundred quid. Also if it's not being used its not earning anything if your subbing. Think about it as a bit off beer money, not saying it would work out economically for a hire company, but when someone on here tried charging over a hundred quid a day for a scabby old tranny tipper when I asked about subbing I just smiled and deleted his number.

You want to hire mine?

I know of at least 3 large hire firms within 10 miles of my house I can hire one from for £50 a day or £200 a week.

When pricing work around here its quite standard to put a truck in the price at £40 per day and £0.50 per mile after usual work meeting point, ie, mileage over and above that that you would normally do if you didnt hire the truck in.

I do realise that a van on long term hire can be around the£200 mark per week. For that price and you was real busy its not worth owning your own especially if you was knocking up the miles. When you take in to considreration the wear and tear, running costs, tax and insurance £50 a day doesnt seem brilliant. You acn go and buy a cheap van for £1500 but would you feel confident subbing it out and running it down the motorway.

You can't include for tax/insurance/depreciation as these would cost you if the van was just left in their yard and you went in their truck

So charge a mileage = 45pence per mile. It would cost them 30p a mile in their own truck.

That way you've set a precedent for future use.

What I'm saying is don't try to make money on this- you may lose a contact

The 45pence is not taxed if you are an employee.

I just charge them for the diesel, normally about £20, or £50 to take my ifor trailer and take a load of logs away. Its hard enough gettiing a workable day rate as a freelance climber without ramping up the dayrate to cover vehicle costs. I often find companies will get someone else in if they are a tenner cheaper a day.....

whenever we sub to folks and include a truck its always £50 per day.

try getting a tipper with a tree surgery back on it for less.

also the night before the job i fill it up to the brim, then, on the way home fill it again. the firm we're subbing to get the reciept and charged exactly what it costs us.

no hassles, no ripping off, everyone wins