What chain?

ThrustSSC

Folks, just wondering if there's something I can learn from the more experienced chainsaw users on here.

What chains do you typically use for processing cordwood into rings?

I can see advantages in narrow-kerf chains: less waste, less strain on the saw, quicker cutting. Are they more fragile in return.

I can see advantages in carbide-tipped chains: longer between sharpenings, longer life for the chain, less susceptible to dirt on the cordwood. But more expensive, of course.

I can see advantage in the full-chisel etc. cutter: higher productivity. But more-risk of kickback, more vibration, harder to sharpen well.

I'd value thoughts! Thank you.

Full chisel is faster if sharp but is less forgiving as once that sharp point has gone - they are also harder to sharpen if abused and the point has really gone, best to keep this type of chain sharp by reguler filing.

Semi chisel is more forgiving but slower, better in dirty wood and is generally easier to sharpen and will keep it's edge longer.

I usually use Stihl RSC full chisel but have a grinder.......and know how to use it:thumbup:

Narrow kerf chains work very well IMO on the small/midsize saws.

The only system really for general cutting is Oregon 95VPX but will only go up to 18" (sort of...!). This works very well and takes only 4.2mm kerf compared to normal .325 chain which takes 6.2mm. No loss of strength as is still mounted on a normal .325 chassis.

The only problem is trying to match Oregons ridiculously named bars to the chain (and bear in mind they've just swapped it all around....:sneaky2:)

The semi chisel (or micro chisel) chains are good fast chains and are def more tolerant to dulling + easier to sharpen than full chisel.

Carbide chains - forget em! I spent £600 experimenting with them. They cut like a dull chain even when sharpened (carbide does not take an edge like conventional steel chain). And you hit something like metal or a stone you'll break cutters and effectively write the chain off. Although to be fair have not tried the new Stihl carbide tipped chains.... - the principles must still apply to these though.

Multi-cut chain. Oregon's chain with 3 times the chrome layer. Supposed to stay sharp for longer.... but no one can decide if it works! And that tells you it prob doesn't work that well!

Multi-cut chain. Oregon's chain with 3 times the chrome layer. Supposed to stay sharp for longer.... but no one can decide if it works! And that tells you it prob doesn't work that well!

I run a fair amount of multicut and I really rate it, especially when im cutting things like riverside trees that will have had flood water around them and be full of debris, also they take knocks from nails and staples better than most others. I have loops for most my saws to put on if im doing something where im going to be dealing with dirty timber, eg skidded poles, partially burnt timber and riverside trees I recon Im sharpening about 3x more using a normal semi chisel on riverside work compared to the multicut

I got a loop of multicut a while back for crosscutting when we were skidding and at first really didn't rate it much as it didn't seem to cut particularly quick compared to standard full chisel and doesn't seem to take a good edge. However, while it doen't seem to be that fast cutting, it does go a fair while before dulling off much so can't be all bad.

Would I use it again? Probably, but only when it was dirty enough to need to. For ringing up generally I'd go semi chisel, but if nice and clean then full chisel, low rakers and plenty of power.

I run a fair amount of multicut and I really rate it, especially when im cutting things like riverside trees that will have had flood water around them and be full of debris, also they take knocks from nails and staples better than most others. I have loops for most my saws to put on if im doing something where im going to be dealing with dirty timber, eg skidded poles, partially burnt timber and riverside trees I recon Im sharpening about 3x more using a normal semi chisel on riverside work compared to the multicut =

We found the same. The multicut is great on dirty timber, lasting 3x longer than a standard semi-chisel. Full chisel loses the corner too quickly.

Nice to hear some feedback on multi cut...

Personally I still can't decide whether it does keep an edge better or not. It's def slower cutting IMO but I have not tried a direct comparison but have a load of greenheart piles that I may try a multi cut vs semi on.

I've tried just about every chain from round ground round chisel full comp, to square ground sqare chisel semi skip and the chain I use most now is Oregon LGX. It's round ground full chisel chain and is not as aggresive as Stihl's RSC, but I like it.

Oregon LPX has the same cutter but a bumper tie strap I think.