A tiny Beast?

Daniël Bos

That's what I want!:biggrin:

The issue...

I lay hedges, and trim the tops of my stakes after I'm all done. They get trimmed at about 45°. I have to cut them up rather than down, so as not to damage the binders I have put on. I cut them about four foot tall.

There are 2 stakes to a meter of hedge, and the longest hedge I've got this year is a continuous 763m long, that's 1527 (1 extra for the end) stakes.

By the time I get to about 100 my arms start to ache, by 150 they hurt by 175 they hurt a lot and I can't physically go much past 200.

I know I could just go and work out or get fit or summat:blushing:, but I have no time for that.

So....

I'm after the very lightest yet very powerful saw I can get. I have a 346xpg, which is lovely but too heavy for the job. I have an ms210 which is a fair bit lighter but a little underpowered but I've set my hopes on my old ms180!

It's had a new p+c lately and runs like new, it's awesome but underpowered.

The idea...

I'd like to fettle the 180 to the maximum power it can have, without putting a huge exhaust on. I thought I could have a go at porting, and bore the exhaust out a bit. Get a ten inch sprocket-nose bar and a full chisel chain and it should rip! (?):thumbup1:

The question...

The ms180 however only has a single carb-adjustment screw. Would I still be able to adjust the mixture after the porting?

If not, would it be possible to put a different carb on, from say an ms210 (with three screws) I don't mid making a few holes here and there if needed to accommodate parts or screw holes, but would it work?:confused1:

Any advise or suggestion welcome (well, relevant advise and suggestions)

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What about using a short pole saw with a harness to take the weight?

Hadn't thought of that. I fear it would be a very expensive solution for a "luxury issue" though. I could do some first thing, then some at the end of the day for a few days etc, so have no real need to spend big money.

I figured all I'd need for the 180 is a different bar, chain and sprocket and perhaps a new carb max cost all in £100?

The other issue is that the cuts start 2" above my binding so I'd be worried about accuracy at high working speed (≈1Hz)

You cant get more of aripper than a 020t with a short gide bar on it.:thumbup:

Surely a ported 192 has a better power/weight ratio?

A bit irrelevant really as I have no intention on spending big money on this.

Really I just want Spud (or megatron, gardenkit or other suitably informed expert) to pop along and say: "yes, no problem, you'd need to use a 192/200/whatever carb, part number xxxxxx and you'll be sweet":biggrin:

I tentatively suggested having my MS230 ported and was advised against as the block is a 'clam shell' style construction, i.e. two pieces fitted together. It seems that that joint may not be up to the extra power from porting. So it may be that all smaller saws (Stihl anyway) are of similar construction: I don't know but perhaps it's a point an expert could address.

what about hydraulic loppers powered via backpack? :confused1:

Far too heavy, far too slow, and it would need a little trailer to carry the power-pack if it were to work at all.

Like your thinking though, outside the box and all that :thumbup1:

As far as an ms200 or similar goes, 'twould be nice but too many pennies.:thumbdown: