Beware of scammers!

MATTMOSS

A friend of mine has just been scammed out of two and half grand by trying to buy a stump grinder off ebay! He has been a bit naive to be honest and it didnt help that he was not used to using ebay, he has transfered the money to someones bank account thinking it was genuine through ebay and thats how things were done.:blushing: on a promise that the grinder would soon be delivered from Scotland. He has been in contact with these people for some time and they sent him a load of emails, imformation and have managed to convince him that it was all above board. As soon as the monies gone the phone lines dead, emails no response, ebay have no record of listing? police cant do much:001_rolleyes:. I know some people will say - well he deserves it for being so trusting but I feel for him because there is soo many about trying to have you over at every turn! Its not a nice thought thinking how much scum there is about, just reality i suppose.

You have just got to be vigilant all the time these days and if it sounds a good deal- its probably not. On a lighter note, im gonna rib him for this for a good while.

Sharp learning curve

Edited by Steve Bullman
language please

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How did the scam work, usually you either use cash on collection or do it all via paypal - £2.5k and I would go with a big mate and a length of 2X2 just in case - paypal is insured!

Was it a deal done outside paypal? Not had too many problems myself - one time waster who had been watching Axemen and bid on a big saw I was selling then pulled out - apart from that, nothing too bad!

The scammers are good at what they do, you get an email that appears to be from ebay prompting the bank transfer payment

This is what has happened in this case, It was a deal done outside paypal and because he wasnt familiar with ebay and the safest ways to pay for things he has had his fingers burned.

Sorry about the langauge :blushing:

I had this exact sane thing tried on nd when I expressed interest in a ridiculously cheap Bandit 65Xl on there. 2500inc delivery from one of the remote Scottish islands for quick sale. they said then the fake eBay email came. Just told them I had cash waiting, but funnily enough the machine never turned up!

---

I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=51.374172,0.481173