Walnut - worth trying to sell?

Julius

Hello.

I am currently cutting up a fallen walnut . I am told the wood could be worth something to a miller .Is it really worth trying to sell it or should it go for firewood?

The roots are rotten and I think there is some rot going up the middle of the trunk.

However there is good wood in there too.

Also what would it be worth?

Any info welcome thanks

IMG_1398.jpg.2945a1b73ea0294e929442b3183957a3.jpg

IMG_1396.jpg.75f2327f81ac8c72721412e7e0961820.jpg

IMG_1395.jpg.98d51b41677d821af65766d496fda313.jpg

IMG_1394.jpg.1a781dc0a9172e348beb98fab1566697.jpg

I think whether it's worth selling or not is entirely dependent on the state of the butt once it's cut from the root plate. If the rot isn't too bad, might be worth selling. If it is bad, firewood it!

Cut root off ??? timber merchants like them with root ??? when i worked for someone he had a lump in the yard for 3 years or more merchant came to pick up oak butts saw the walnut butt it was the roughest bit of timber in the yard nearly cut it up the week before gave boss £200 for it there and then.:thumbup1:

Cut root off ??? timber merchants like them with root ??? when i worked for someone he had a lump in the yard for 3 years or more merchant came to pick up oak butts saw the walnut butt it was the roughest bit of timber in the yard nearly cut it up the week before gave boss £200 for it there and then.:thumbup1:

To sell a root is rare and there is very little demand for it despite the massive amount of myth surrounding them being worth a fortune.

Good pics by the way..... this walnut is not worth a lot as it is not that large and also it has a large sap ring. Colourwise (of the heartwood) looks average to good though. Would be good for rustic furniture and is def worth planking.