What is it with the ms200t

Rich2484

Ok so after having a few 200t in and always carb changes then they are perfect after.

So the question is does anyone know what actually goes wrong in the carb, they pass all tests but fail on the saw and it is definatly not the saw as I always check them with a running carb and comp testing.

Just wondering as I had another one come in today and after telling the customer that it would prob be carb but I need to test it first, they asked how much the new carb is. After telling him he picked up his saw and walked away muttering under his breath.

I have tried everything on a carb that is in my parts bin, but nothing seems to work. The carb is spotless and no matter how much tuning is done still no effect.

I'm just curiouse, have read before about cracking in the carb body? Not sure how true that is as I have never seen any.

Sorry if it has been posted before by the way.

When I take mine in its always something he call the "pump piston" It has only been expensive on an earlier 200t that did not have that part that was replaceable. Then it needed a new carb with the bit that you can replace instead of a whole new carb . I know what I mean anyway .

You are not alone with this one Rich, I find them very frustrating, they can be ok one day and not the next, ( usually ok when on my bench, not when back with customer!)

As Stubby says, I think its to do with rapid wear on the early accelerator pumps, and cheaper just to stick a new carb on than attempt to repair.

I often replace with a new 020t (s63) carb, as they are much more stable.

You are not alone with this one Rich, I find them very frustrating, they can be ok one day and not the next, ( usually ok when on my bench, not when back with customer!)

As Stubby says, I think its to do with rapid wear on the early accelerator pumps, and cheaper just to stick a new carb on than attempt to repair.

I often replace with a new 020t (s63) carb, as they are much more stable.

Thats right, the earlier carbs accelerator pumps were brass and wear, letting air in to the metering section, usual symptoms ar unstable idle and uneven midrange. The later carbs had stainless pumps and sorted the problem....or at least we think so.

There is a fix but it isn't an easy one so don't ask:001_rolleyes:

It is almost impossible to get to the pump!

Thats right, the earlier carbs accelerator pumps were brass and wear, letting air in to the metering section, usual symptoms ar unstable idle and uneven midrange. The later carbs had stainless pumps and sorted the problem....or at least we think so.

There is a fix but it isn't an easy one so don't ask:001_rolleyes:

It is almost impossible to get to the pump!

One day you might tell me....no, on second thoughts I,d rather not know, as I may be tempted to waste hours trying to fix them.:laugh1:

A little bit on this that most are unaware of .The accelerater pump has a little o-ring that fails which causes an air leak .The way the linkage actuates the pump it's inevetatble this piston will fail in time .Now one fix they claim to remove the piston and seal off the cavity with epoxy thus bypassing the pump .

I've found what appears to be tiny cracks in the fuel chamber which I've sealed with red loctite with pretty good success .Another gent in California has done the same thing .

One carb which was shipped to me from Australia I thought had cracks in it .I later shipped it to Stihl in Virginia Beach Va where they analized it in their lab and said it didn't have cracks but did have internal leaks .

Often over looked and something I just recently discovered are the crank shaft bearings .Most saws have at least one ball bearing ,most have two .The 200T uses roller bearings both sides .

Because of the method used to control side thrust by using a composite type material in the bearing they develop side movement .Given enough time this will cause the seals to leak and not only hinder the preformance but after enough time burn the piston and cylinder up by causing a lean run condition .

The 020/200T is a different breed of cat to put it in Yank terms .Built like no other I've even seen .Born and bred to be a runner .With that high bred performance comes situations you'll find in almost no other saw .

Last quote for 200t carb I had was 85 plus vat.

It is easier to replace carb, good luck finding any 020 carbs about, if you got them keep them.

Was told that an a type carb is the best to find as they have less chance to fail but not sure how accurate that is as I have never seen an a type carb.

Think I will look into the 201 see if they are any good now it's been nearly a year.