You have got to wonder

caledonian bob

Recent accident near coventry involving elderly gent with chainsaw. He decided it would be kinder on his back to start his old saw with it sat on al upturned oil drum, saw started at full chat, chain hit lip on drum and kicked, unfortunately no ppe and blade hit him square accross the side of his neck. Terrible way to go and for his elderly wife to witness such a horrific accident. People just don't realise the power and dangers these tools posses. Makes me cringe when I see people not using goggles and gloves etc. We've all done it at some point though.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Recent accident near coventry involving elderly gent with chainsaw. He decided it would be kinder on his back to start his old saw with it sat on al upturned oil drum, saw started at full chat, chain hit lip on drum and kicked, unfortunately no ppe and blade hit him square accross the side of his neck. Terrible way to go and for his elderly wife to witness such a horrific accident. People just don't realise the power and dangers these tools posses. Makes me cringe when I see people not using goggles and gloves etc. We've all done it at some point though.

Um not trying to be devils advocate, but which bit of ppe would protect the side of ur neck??:confused1:

Edited by MikeTM150
crap crap crap spelling!

It would be interesting to see some stats as to the use / injury / severity of injury figures for unskilled use of chainsaws, strimmers, brushcutters, grinders, circular saws etc. etc.

I can't really think of anything you can buy on the open market which has more potential to damage than a chainsaw, especially the cheap chinese jobs with big bars which are probably a pig to start and have instructions in some kind of language nobody actually speaks.

Thinking about it, I know of probably 2 major domestic power tool accidents among friends. One was a hot spark from a grinder in the eye due to lack of goggles which meant much pain but no lasting damage. The other was a mate in Plymouth topping off a connifer in his garden up a ladder with a cheap chainsaw. The top started to turn. He ended up on his back on the floor and the saw fell on him and removed his bicep.

Surely he would not be allowed to buy a ladder either?

I can't really think of anything you can buy on the open market which has more potential to damage than a chainsaw, especially the cheap chinese jobs with big bars which are probably a pig to start and have instructions in some kind of language nobody actually speaks.

Granted I doubt whether any of us has any Mandarin but I'm sure I've got a satsuma somewhere in the fruit bowl!

Let him cut his legs off, dought he will last long, has he actually got a way of getting the timber out of the wood? If he gives his saw over and asks if you can fix it throw it in the bin and give him a sthil or husky catalogue.. Done that before.

A person cut his leg half off on a job my boss quoted for, he has up a ladder with no ppe on at all. And on ladder not even tied into the tree. Just cutting and letting it drop. Can't say the name on the van as I think he is still operating in area (well someone is doing his work coz he not really getting around much)

I was shocked to find that you can buy almost any saw without a ticket, but then how can you monitor it with the likes of eBay. It's easy for b and q and the other stores.

Seen a few muppets doing stupid things with saws and I just turn and walk away, there no way I'm going anywhere near a train wreck like that.

If he doesn't injure himself and gets as far as breaking sweat the sparckel of the idea will soon fade. I assume he is talking it terms of felling and not just walking around picking up dead wood an wind blow ? When he gets his bar stuck and one leans back and or hung up in the next tree etc etc you know all the probs Then ask him if he would consider a deal on the timber ? :sneaky2:

If he is felling trees is there conservation orders on trees in that wood, he could get in seriouse doodoo if there are.

Best to leave it and see what happens, could wait til he gets bored then drop a letter into his door offering your services to keep the wood maintained in exchange for timber from said wood?

The "gent" in question knows absoultly nothing about woodlands, timber or firewood and only sees this venture as a way of making a quick buck. I am aware this is happening everywhere but it does get up my nose when they phone up looking for advice on price etc. Don't get me wrong, I'm the first to help if someone needs help or advice and have done so often at my own expence.

Anyway, I've calmed down now and am chuckling at some of your replies.