What would you do ?

sqirrel21

G'day all

New lad on trial yesterday, he has been doingg pretty well up until he left an 046 under the tree and the climber dropped a large branch on it, saw cattle trucked, would you make him pay / the climber a share.. ?

does anyone have a broken 046 with a good back handle / carb / sidecase they would like to sell me / in surrey ?

My inclination is to have him pay half the repair or replacement cost..

Dave

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i bet your not paying him much? if he is a keen young lad and is willing to work for not alot then i'd suggest sitting him down and telling him that.... "although the mistake he made was a big one, and by rights he should be fired, you think he's a good lad worth keeping and that you'll foot the bill this time. make sure theres not a next time!" think back to when you were that lad what would a knock like that do to your confidence? i'd try and teach him not punish him... :)

arb sites are often an organised chaos...for a newbie there is a hell of alot going on. IMO the others on site should look out for the mistakes this lad might make.

I don't believe in making people pay for damages unless it's a deliberate act.

If they are constantly damaging stuff or being negligent then they don't deserve a job.

I once had an old boss who tried to make me pay for a very small damaged item, when I refused and asked why I should pay for it( I did infact get a replacement pay for it and fit it so I just wanted my money back) he came up with " if I don't charge people they will just go around breaking stuff" He couldn't have came up with a more stupid answer! :lol:

Besides new and trial sounds like someone should have been keeping a bit of an eye on him to me.

Stupid silly mistake but we all make them, just seems more stupid and silly when it's someone else or worse, someone else with OUR kit.

I suppose there is the argument that if he is a decent bloke he will offer to pay for the damage but then if the boss is a decent bloke he will give the lads a bonus every time they do some really nasty jobs and nothing gets damaged or gear gets nicked which has been factored into the quote etc.:sneaky2:

Hope you can both come to me agreement.:thumbup1:

i bet your not paying him much? if he is a keen young lad and is willing to work for not alot then i'd suggest sitting him down and telling him that.... "although the mistake he made was a big one, and by rights he should be fired, you think he's a good lad worth keeping and that you'll foot the bill this time. make sure theres not a next time!" think back to when you were that lad what would a knock like that do to your confidence? i'd try and teach him not punish him... :)

arb sites are often an organised chaos...for a newbie there is a hell of alot going on. IMO the others on site should look out for the mistakes this lad might make.

:001_huh: Really!!!!!:001_huh:

Glad I don't work for you!!!!!!!!!:thumbdown:

And as for the "organised chaos...." not on my sites!!!!!!!

my crew leave saws under me all the time, I am forever having to watch out for saws not just people left in the drop zone.

I wouldnt be too hard on him, its a mistake and he will learn from it, how stupid do you think he feels about it? thats often far more than any ticking off will ever do!

as others have said, the other crew members should have been looking out for the new lad, and for some time too i might add. Our apprentice tom I treat as a great responsibility, my responsibility, if he puts a foot wrong its as much down to me as him as far as i am concerned maybe even 70/30% my to his in my eyes.

:001_huh: Really!!!!!:001_huh:

Glad I don't work for you!!!!!!!!!:thumbdown:

And as for the "organised chaos...." not on my sites!!!!!!!

:001_rolleyes: okay so as a new guy or an outsider do you think you'd just know what was going on and where things were instantly? no chance hence the ORGANISED! i like to know where everyone and everything is on my sites so this doesnt happen but a new lad???? you know where is was coming from, surely?