Previously topped tree!

pault

I have just had a call from a woman who wants her tree topped. So i went round to have a look and as the title says the tree had previously been topped. The height and width werent affected as much as i had thought they may have been but still it must have looked like hell for a few years. Its recovered fairly nicely but the woman wants it done again. Iv tried to convince her to have it thinned rather than topped but she is set on having it cut right back again. What should i do? Its a 20-25 foot beech by the way.

Cheers all

Paul

Any TPO on it? Never know, it might be worth checking with the council and getting the tree occifer out, who might just say to do something gentle with it.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some interesting comments guys:thumbup1:

Ian i am glad you are able to dig your heels in a bit now, thats all it needs to force a bit of change and get to do our jobs properly. Like i said before it aint easy but you have to fight for what is right. Otherwise we are just puppets instead of intelligent, educated professionals. We will get there eventually :thumbup:

Some interesting comments guys:thumbup1:

Ian i am glad you are able to dig your heels in a bit now, thats all it needs to force a bit of change and get to do our jobs properly. Like i said before it aint easy but you have to fight for what is right. Otherwise we are just puppets instead of intelligent, educated professionals. We will get there eventually :thumbup:

Trees will always need trimming, topping, reducing, reshaping, retrenchment call it what you will, because they get too big for their location.

I point you in the direction of Hama's reduction thread.

Anyway where is this arboricultural nirvana where we are going? A land where there are no reductions just educated intelligent professionals telling people they are wrong to want light or not want their homes to be damaged by overgrown trees?

ps; the puppets bit.............have a word with yourself.

Trees will always need trimming, topping, reducing, reshaping, retrenchment call it what you will, because they get too big for their location.

I point you in the direction of Hama's reduction thread.

Anyway where is this arboricultural nirvana where we are going? A land where there are no reductions just educated intelligent professionals telling people they are wrong to want light or not want their homes to be damaged by overgrown trees?

ps; the puppets bit.............have a word with yourself.

The professional arborist will advise the client. Most tree owners won't know all the options. For instance, quoted for a job this morning; client had planted, some years ago, a Thuja close to his house. The tree is now tall and straight and at gutter level and he wanted it felled. I advised that another option for this particular species of conifer is to reduce hard and maintain as a large shrub. He didn't realise that that was an option but still wanted it felled - fair enough. There are always options, thin rather than reduce, fell and replace with a more appropriate species rather than top&lop. Personally, I could not bring myself to putting a saw into a beautiful specimen tree but thats just me. I love trees as well as loving tree work, it seems to me sometimes that the majority of tree surgeons just like the work and the money in their pocket and will do what is necessary to get it there as fast as possible. Oh, and a proper reduction is a reasonable practise in the right situation.

The professional arborist will advise the client. Most tree owners won't know all the options. For instance, quoted for a job this morning; client had planted, some years ago, a Thuja close to his house. The tree is now tall and straight and at gutter level and he wanted it felled. I advised that another option for this particular species of conifer is to reduce hard and maintain as a large shrub. He didn't realise that that was an option but still wanted it felled - fair enough. There are always options, thin rather than reduce, fell and replace with a more appropriate species rather than top&lop. Personally, I could not bring myself to putting a saw into a beautiful specimen tree but thats just me. I love trees as well as loving tree work, it seems to me sometimes that the majority of tree surgeons just like the work and the money in their pocket and will do what is necessary to get it there as fast as possible. Oh, and a proper reduction is a reasonable practise in the right situation.

Ok agree broadly with most things, especially the use of "advise" instead of "educate" Thinning is a nonsense imo.

oh yeah forgot to add the description of the majority of tree surgeons, well yes I will always try to bring the job in as quick as I can ensuring the client is happy, and I enjoy the work but i do it for the money.

And there in lies one of the problems. Most of us, probably all of us, do it for the love of the job but also have to make money out of it. Some of us can't or couldn't afford to be picky over what jobs we took on and what we turned down. When a particular job might be the only thing bringing in the income then you have to do it don't you? I once was told to go get another job if I had to take to topping trees to put food on the table. Really? So we are all prim and perfect in everything else we do? So we might save a tree by not topping it and doing the right thing but do we apply that "perfection" to everything else we do in our lives? Maybe I can't get across my thoughts properly but sometimes it does really get my goat to be told if you have to top a tree to earn a coin you're in the wrong profession.

trouble is

you've got different spheres here

Theres tree officers who have to weave between current accepted practice and keeping joe public reasonably happy.

You've got National Trust type places where visitors expect trees to look like trees.

You've got consultants who try to put on a professional face but can be swayed to do what the developer wants.

You've got trained tree surgeons who leave college expecting to be working at a top level and end up felling and topping as that is the only work available.

Business owners who suggest the most expensive approach to a job often conversing with housing officers who haven't got a clue.

Also business owners who suggest the cheapest option as they know in this way they will get the job.

Hell- the list is endless-

You've just got to weave your way and hope you don't get battered by life too hard