Previously topped tree!

pault

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh I have been there and done that. Faced with a client that wanted a mutilation I used to persuade the client to let me do a sustainable prune with the offer to do what they wanted if they can’t live with the “proper” option. Got bored with topping a tree I had just pruned.

Well thats never happened to me. Did you get the follow up calls to come and repollard or did they just have the trees cut down in the end? seems to me thats what these clients wanted anyway. Some people just dont like their trees:thumbdown:

This is a job I did before Christmas.

http://e0396c10.jpg

Client had his mind made up and had the planning go ahead before I quoted , I was not happy and felt uncomftable doing it ... I think it caused out cry but hey he plans to manage them and some were shot around the base...

Last week I have been turning 70 year old yew trees in too hedges and it looks awfull....I convinced her to leave two and reduce them lightly instead of 2 meters!! so I do feel better I'm just glad no one can see my truck when I'm working there!! Atleast I'm back doing 25% / 15 % on yews tm in another site.

well if you do not do it then someone else will ,if i was turning down jobs all the time i would not have work every day ,its a rock and hard place

If your turning jobs down all the time its because you cant explain the pros and cons well enough. If you make sure the client understands perfectly then 9 times out of 10 you can change their minds. You are the professional remember not them. Do you tell a doctor, electrician, plumber, plasterer etc etc how to do their job, or do you listen to what they tell you? its the same for us, we just need to push it a bit more instead of just giving up and saying ok i will do what you tell me even though it was me that got the training and certificates. Being scared of losing a days wage just doesnt wash with me because you will gain more days by getting respect and the good word of mouth from the client you made into a believer. Think of when the clients friend, relative, neighbour (who knows something about trees) comes to visit and then asks "who butchered your tree? dont call them again" or would you prefer when they visit to say "those boys did a good job whats their number" Its not rocket science you know.

Well thats never happened to me. Did you get the follow up calls to come and repollard or did they just have the trees cut down in the end? seems to me thats what these clients wanted anyway. Some people just dont like their trees:thumbdown:

Thats what I said a couple of posts ago

Thats what I said a couple of posts ago

So push for removal and get them to plant something smaller. Better imo to remove a tree from a garden than leave a tall stump which is just going to turn into a tall stump with a very hairy crown. Client just doesnt get what he/she wanted. Topping a tree for the client that wants more light, less leaves, a view or whatever the rubbish excuse is will just be counter productive and thats what you should be explaining to them as well. I know some clients can just be pig headed about it but thats when i walk away, there is no pleasing some folk. Anyway i have been through this a few times already on other threads and nothing will change unless you make it.

Stay safe thats the main thing, trees will always be here and will outlive us all.:001_smile:

If your turning jobs down all the time its because you cant explain the pros and cons well enough. If you make sure the client understands perfectly then 9 times out of 10 you can change their minds. You are the professional remember not them. Do you tell a doctor, electrician, plumber, plasterer etc etc how to do their job, or do you listen to what they tell you? its the same for us, we just need to push it a bit more instead of just giving up and saying ok i will do what you tell me even though it was me that got the training and certificates. Being scared of losing a days wage just doesnt wash with me because you will gain more days by getting respect and the good word of mouth from the client you made into a believer. Think of when the clients friend, relative, neighbour (who knows something about trees) comes to visit and then asks "who butchered your tree? dont call them again" or would you prefer when they visit to say "those boys did a good job whats their number" Its not rocket science you know.

think you misunder stood me ,i agree with you ,if you explain the best course of action and they decline then i would just do as they say ,work is work :thumbup1:

think you misunder stood me ,i agree with you ,if you explain the best course of action and they decline then i would just do as they say ,work is work :thumbup1:

Its Not good ,but it is the case ! Some will just not listen unfortunately I'm not in a position to turn down work any more and I'm sure not the only one!