Dak

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What are you using to get it out?

Try using a thin knitting needle, pry open the cover as neatly as you can. I try to get right under the core between cover and core.

If you where watching the ne video, he says to bend the rope, it easier not to when extracting the core of smaller diameter rope.

I find it makes the strands much tighter, but is a good tip on your larger ropes.

Ta Dak,

just done one and it worked. Well pleased with myself. :thumbup1: I have learned a lot from this forum. Great encouragement and advice from the best. Happy days. I know it was easy rope, but the theory is the same. Don't know how to upload photo on here yet.

A mates offered to bring me back some samson tubular fids back from the states, worth the £20 for the set? I'm thinking yes, for hollow braids if nothing else. Anyone used them?

I'd say get them, better to have them than not. you'll always find a use for them. even my pointless marlow splicing needles get used (not whipping needles, the large one is 2' long).

Jamie

What are you using to get it out?

Try using a thin knitting needle, pry open the cover as neatly as you can. I try to get right under the core between cover and core.

If you where watching the ne video, he says to bend the rope, it easier not to when extracting the core of smaller diameter rope.

I find it makes the strands much tighter, but is a good tip on your larger ropes.

Agree Dak, I robbed the wife's cable needle and it worked a treat. You are right about not bending the rope. Here is my 3rd and 4th attempt. Getting there and enjoying it.

http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/members/dog-tag-albums-splicing-picture4997-splice-3-4th-attempt.html

Ok so tubular fids are a go along with the samson splicing book, the bible apparently!

BenC - God effort mate, try bending the throat about and bash it with a rubber mallet might help with the whipping!!

Dogtag - Good on ya bro glad I could help! Hit the little button that looks like a photo of mountains and you should be able to upload pics! It opens a little window!

I'm going to do somemore splices this week, I'll get them up.

I think we need a splicing forum!!

Ok so tubular fids are a go along with the samson splicing book, the bible apparently!

BenC - God effort mate, try bending the throat about and bash it with a rubber mallet might help with the whipping!!

Dogtag - Good on ya bro glad I could help! Hit the little button that looks like a photo of mountains and you should be able to upload pics! It opens a little window!

I'm going to do somemore splices this week, I'll get them up.

I think we need a splicing forum!!

Second that:thumbup: