Falling tree kills man

Taupotreeman

Sad news indeed

RIP

Tree work has and always will be considered 'an easy job' you put a cut/wedge in the direction you want the tree to go and it goes that way.

Sounds stupid but just think of all the cartoons/comedy clips and tv shows of people chopping down trees. Now compare that to the above but some messing about with electricity.

Usually the lumber jack gets his tree but the electrician gets a comedy zap.

I priced a job about two months ago where the client wanted me to do the trees that he couldn't. He knew exactly how to fell the other trees by pulling them over with a tractor while chopping the back of the tree, well he had used a chainsaw to cut up a few logs for his fire so knew all the cuts.:thumbup1:

I doubt he is attempting to rewire his house although he has changed a few 13 amp plugs.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sad news indeed

RIP

Tree work has and always will be considered 'an easy job' you put a cut/wedge in the direction you want the tree to go and it goes that way.

Sounds stupid but just think of all the cartoons/comedy clips and tv shows of people chopping down trees. Now compare that to the above but some messing about with electricity.

Usually the lumber jack gets his tree but the electrician gets a comedy zap.

I priced a job about two months ago where the client wanted me to do the trees that he couldn't. He knew exactly how to fell the other trees by pulling them over with a tractor while chopping the back of the tree, well he had used a chainsaw to cut up a few logs for his fire so knew all the cuts.:thumbup1:

I doubt he is attempting to rewire his house although he has changed a few 13 amp plugs.

I totally agree with that. Early days into my arb career i definetely got the feeling from people that you were a labourer and still get that feeling from some customers today.

2 deaths in a week is a tragedy however.

having spent a day last week clearing up someone else's mess because they started felling tree's in a wood without a machine and soon realised they had 20 fairish ash (14" DBH) hung up in the bigger tree's and they were still walking round under them cutting bits off the bottom trying to get them down i can believe how accidents happen. And apparently is now starting again as 'he' cleared some space to fell some more into........

Its a tragedy for these two families, but a lesson to be learnt to the rest of us to consider the true risks of what we take on. Common sense is much underated health and safety guide! I keep telling all my chaps, use your common sense, don't jump in blindly. Stop, THINK, listen!

it's always sad to near of accidents but good to make us all realize they can happen to any of us, when we hear of another, knowing there will be more.

I have a simple assessment rule before starting, 'at this point I can walk away from the tree'.

Hello,

What is it about Macrocarpa trees in N.Z?

They are HUGE!

When I was traveling around I saw many with giant circumferences yet they are only less than 150 years old or less.

Ideal growing conditions perhaps...?

Ty

I think the growing conditions are favorable.

Recently a guy was killed close to Bergen when felling a Tree.The Tree sat back on his saw and off he went to get some rope.Sadly the Wind my have pushed it over when he was walking away,it struck and killed him.

Never a nice thing to hear that and my condolences go out to his family.

Going by the quote "He was really experienced in chopping down trees – not by professional standards – but he has a lot of experience." I would say its another typical example of someone thinking they can do anything a professional can do because he has swung a chainsaw around a few times in his own garden to save cash. Unfortunately it takes instances like this to show that its not all that easy after all.

Hello,

What is it about Macrocarpa trees in N.Z?

They are HUGE!

When I was traveling around I saw many with giant circumferences yet they are only less than 150 years old or less.

Ideal growing conditions perhaps...?

Ty

LoL

The are dirty horrible big things normally.