safety; top handle saws - risks and incidents.

blazer

I do :biggrin:

Quad bikes, rock climbing, swimming, tractors, skateboards, etc,etc,etc, are all dangerous, but life is full of risks.

I used a saw for years before I took an assessment and have never had any training.

I really hate red tape and legislation, in reality its a money making racket for people who would sooner not do real work.

I like a simple life :001_smile:

I thought you might:biggrin:

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm no monkey (no offence meant, other primate-related insults are available:biggrin:) either, but I believe the risk is mainly due to the decreased control.

Because you don't have a back handle the saw has much more leverage when it kicks back, which makes it a lot harder to stop.

Was just talking about this same topic at the saw shop last week.

The reason for accidents whether one-handed or two handed is arborist or grounds people placing their feet, face in limbs in the path of the bar or the path of it's potential arc.

Actually, I find that one-handing a small top handle saw on the ground seems even safer, especially when leaning. Because I can hold one arm and shoulder backwards to counter-balance my own weight even better.

This seller (10" 25cc 2500 2 STROKE PETROL CHAINSAW 25 cc TOP HANDLE ARBORIST | eBay) is happy to sell them to anyone even the DIY enthusiasts. So clearly no restrictions here.

Personally I hate all the red tape surrounding the use of small machines as I too was happily using a chainsaw before the blue book came about.

I regularly use a top handled saw on the ground. Hedge laying for instance, back cut push em over down they go. Much easier on your back and arms. My recent post on the grave yard job I did, a lot safer in my opinion using the top handle close to headstones. More control than using my normal saws. I think it's more about the competence of the user. My first top handle was the 009t or something like that. Perhaps there should be an additional bolt on to CS31 for those who prefer a top handle on the ground. The last thing we need is another NPTC certificate. After 20yrs of using saws I just couldn't face another course.

When I was in collage, albeit a long time ago, we used top handle saws for felling conifers as part of our course!

I regularly use a top handled saw on the ground. Hedge laying for instance, back cut push em over down they go. Much easier on your back and arms. My recent post on the grave yard job I did, a lot safer in my opinion using the top handle close to headstones. More control than using my normal saws. I think it's more about the competence of the user. My first top handle was the 009t or something like that. Perhaps there should be an additional bolt on to CS31 for those who prefer a top handle on the ground. The last thing we need is another NPTC certificate. After 20yrs of using saws I just couldn't face another course.

When I was in collage, albeit a long time ago, we used top handle saws for felling conifers as part of our course!

Good post totally agree. But what I haven't seen yet is any details of accidents using top handle saws and the reason for it happening.

I love the 'because your not allowed' bit - with no detailed reason.

To compare 'guns to saws' there is a connection - you can buy a saw without training and also a shotgun or a rimfire rifle, I have certificates for both, all I had to do was put down a reason for having guns, convince the FLO I was ok and not be a 'crim' plus no depression on my medical records no gun training (I think it changing).

Oh and the dangerous toys & action man bit - I done the lot, still have a quad, guns, saws (63 nxt week) - I reason I picked up safety tips from other activities and used them for the next, sure it helps - plus I ask more these days.

My instructor who taught me on my cs39 said to me that the HSE wanted them banned completely due to the number of accidents that have occurred whilst using them. Mind you we do live in a nanny state after all:lol:

They tried to ban them years ago.

I've known plenty of people who cut themselves with top handle saws over the years (in fact I'd say 90% of the cuts I've known of and seen/seen the results of have been with top handles). This has been the result of cutting one handed (with a bad on-line work position) or more commonly, cutting and holding. About 17 years ago, I was logging up poles into my trailer with an 020AV, holding the wood and cutting one handed. The saw suddenly (its always SUDDENLY!), shot up the limb and cut my index finger on my left hand. Lesson learned, I have never cut myself with a saw since. (touchwood!). I know people who've cut themselves twice in the SAME place using top handles, one handed on the ground...it just goes to show..Darwin was right :)

• 2 weeks later...
holding the wood and cutting one handed. The saw suddenly (its always SUDDENLY!), shot up the limb and cut my index finger on my left hand. Lesson learned, I have never cut myself with a saw since.

I had the same experience almost losing 2 fingers on my left hand.

I've known plenty of people who cut themselves with top handle saws over the years (in fact I'd say 90% of the cuts I've known of and seen/seen the results of have been with top handles). This has been the result of cutting one handed (with a bad on-line work position) or more commonly, cutting and holding. About 17 years ago, I was logging up poles into my trailer with an 020AV, holding the wood and cutting one handed. The saw suddenly (its always SUDDENLY!), shot up the limb and cut my index finger on my left hand. Lesson learned, I have never cut myself with a saw since. (touchwood!). I know people who've cut themselves twice in the SAME place using top handles, one handed on the ground...it just goes to show..Darwin was right :)

99% of the cuts I've seen have been using silkys

I think small/light means you don't give the tool the respect it requires