The NEW skylotec passo-pl karabiner whats your view???

Rhystree

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm with Al Baker on this one , it dose'nt work if it can open with abit of rope running over it , well it will open with branches rubbing over it , it's not safe I'd run a mile from this , not going in my kit bag. climbing is all about staying in the tree, can't fly me.

karainers what ever type all have there place screwgates for rock climbing over 15 years up / down and around rocks never had a bad thing to say about them , would I use one on my life line in the trees NO way , there's one on my saw and yes it has opened.

Thats my bit.

I wondered that also, but then I wondered the same about the petzl ball locks but never had any problems with them. I'd like to think skylotec have tested that aspect thoroughly.

Personally I think an improvement in the design would be to countersink the buttons into the gate...not sure why they didnt do that in the first place.

havnt read all the posts to see other replies to this, but possibly it would take too much meat out of the gate and reduce strength too much :confused1:

I bought one six months ago for use in a redirect strop climbing SRT.

I loved it from the first day for this purpose but didn't think I could trust it on my main line.

Now that I've used it a lot see no reason at not to trust it.

Sure, it seems too easy to open but that's because of what we're used to. Conventional 3ways are often fiddly if it's not in just the right position in your palm, your hands are cold, hands are wet. You know what I mean, don't deny it :laugh1:

I've actually seen a conventional 3way open while climbing. No piece of equipment can be totally infallible so I think these Skylotec karabiners are fine.

Just my opinion though.

I bought one six months ago for use in a redirect strop climbing SRT.

I loved it from the first day for this purpose but didn't think I could trust it on my main line.

Now that I've used it a lot see no reason at not to trust it.

Sure, it seems too easy to open but that's because of what we're used to. Conventional 3ways are often fiddly if it's not in just the right position in your palm, your hands are cold, hands are wet. You know what I mean, don't deny it :laugh1:

I've actually seen a conventional 3way open while climbing. No piece of equipment can be totally infallible so I think these Skylotec karabiners are fine.

Just my opinion though.

We've all been there in the winter, freezing cold blowing a gail up a skinny tree fumbling around with cold locked up hands trying to open a krab ... but personally I'd rather have a bit of hassle than something that is easy but I don't trust. It's much like a slightly awkward section at the top of a tree to get a better anchor point, where it would be far easier to anchor in where you are but have slight doubts about that fork.

Realistically you only ever have 1 bad fall in our industry unless your extremely lucky. Its for this reason I would never be happy with anything unless I trust it 100%, so why would I buy a krab that I'm not sure about when I have total faith in others on the market. I can never understand people that climb on crazy loose VT's or creating home made pieces of climbing kit. But I suppose it is down to peoples interpretation of trust in what they are using.

Edited by will.morris

Well so far I am really pleased with this...So easy to operate - saves a lot of messing cos its intuitive. No worries on the trust issue because it does what it is supposed too, and is much lighter than a snaplock.

Will definately purchase another on for attaching to my mainline, although I wouldn't use one for harness attachment as if anywhere this is where you could come unstuck, although it would be completely fine if you climb steady and keep an eye on it :001_smile:

Will wait and see what LOLER man say! :sneaky2:

Well so far I am really pleased with this...So easy to operate - saves a lot of messing cos its intuitive. No worries on the trust issue because it does what it is supposed too, and is much lighter than a snaplock.

Will definately purchase another on for attaching to my mainline, although I wouldn't use one for harness attachment as if anywhere this is where you could come unstuck, although it would be completely fine if you climb steady and keep an eye on it :001_smile:

Where else, other than harness attachment, do you use a karabiner on your main line???