What to do?

Andy Collins

Get your arbtalk post count past 20,000:lol:

No, on a serious note, i wish you the speediest of recoveries and as stated have you thought about doing the tree inspection side of things? Obtaining your PTI, QTRA or the like.

Keep your hand in with paperwork be on site for routine checks, try to be disciplined with yourself in regards to practical work, i know thats sounds easier to say than do but it is possible.

Read a book, carve as other people have stated, get creative in how you go about things, invent stuff... its all there to be done, but most importantly...

Recover:thumbup:

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could you not just drive machinery around while on site? i know its still work but its sitting down work plus you will be on site and active. I can understand how you would feel and it would drive me crazy not being able to get stuck in. The most important thing is that you recover first and then see what you are able to do and work into it slowly.

Good luck mate and i hope you have a speedy recovery.

Andy, I wish you a speedy recovery and I believe the advice already give is sound. Although I am not in your shoes, If it were me I would make a gradual transition with trusted employees and set a goal as to when you can return to the level of employment you wish to be. Your recovery time will depend on many factors and it sounds like your crew can cover in your absents until a complete recovery has been achieved.

I am sure you will be able to find things to keep yourself busy in the interim.

All the best

easy-lift guy

If you don't already have a website up and running, promoting your business, get one done now. Doesn' t have to cost you anything, but will halp getting business rolling in, once you are recovered.

One free alternative is Welcome to Getting British Business Online

Search this forum for alternatives, inspiration and help.

I agree with the others advising to get a subby in to keep money rolling in and keep your loyal customer base loyal.

I wish a full and speedy recovery for you.

Hi Andy

I hope your on the mend now, take it easy as you dont want to rush back into work and over do it!

I would say work to your strengths, pick the work you like doing best. You dont need to be on site all day if your just over seeing things, if your using subbies just be there for an hour in the morning to ensure they know what they are doing for the day and then let them get on. Use the rest of the day to go and look at other work if you can, and go and network with people, go and visit people/estates/other contractors for a cup of tea. Just to remind people your about and let them know what work your upto and if anything comes up that you could quote for or help out with etc.

I agree with the above I made a GBBO online website in one afternoon and then spent some time in evenings tinkering about with it, its a good showcase for your work and you can get it free for two years, I have had some work on the back of what people have seen on my website.

Step back and supervise Andy I think you will find it more frustrating letting go of work all together than directing a couple of people ,you might find it speeds your recovery giving you some thing to work for ..... last time I spoke to you at capel you had it all falling in to place work wise with some good ideas I found it quite inspiring, there should be plenty of decent people you can trust and you know a good net work of cutters and climbers. Even if it's only a few days a week it still keeps your finger on the pulse.

Hi Andy, sounds like you,ve had quite a time of it, but at least you appreciate the need for a careful recovery period and the impact rushing back out might have - even if you felt you could. I see you,ve been in Arb for 15plus years -is there anything you could draw on from previous careers that could be adapted

Into your career and interests now. I also See from your website you are delivering some courses and design work. There,s got to be some reward in this and potential for development. Now that nptc/city and guilds are moving towards the ITA route it may be easier to get into this area with your experience.

Sub contracting the big tree jobs is as mentioned something you may be obliged to do if your customers can not wait. We have in the past rebranded subbies on our site with our company profile and often sub into larger companies by rebranding as their company.

without knowing your financial commitments it,s hard to imagine how far you need to go to live and stay sane.

I think as you mentioned the frustration element is the hardest bit it handle. I wish you well on this the next stage in your business.

Andy, I wish you well in your recovery.

A mate of mine, a hard landscaper, little older than you, was laid up after surgery & itching to still be involved as much as possible but also knowing that he could never go back to the hard graft. He kept his business going by using two trusted guys who had often worked for him to complete jobs while he attended to drawings, estimates, quotes, correspondece, invoicing, materials ordering etc. Kept him involved & gave an income, of sorts.

Whatever you choose, i hope it works out for you.

Step back and supervise Andy I think you will find it more frustrating letting go of work all together than directing a couple of people ,you might find it speeds your recovery giving you some thing to work for ..... last time I spoke to you at capel you had it all falling in to place work wise with some good ideas I found it quite inspiring, there should be plenty of decent people you can trust and you know a good net work of cutters and climbers. Even if it's only a few days a week it still keeps your finger on the pulse.[/quoteMatty your quite right, I remember that conversation, and things finally did slot into place as we said. Then this happened..... My biggest concern now is to try and maintain some of the business. I have one or two little ideas in my head, utilising my past experiences, and maybe some of these ideas posted here will help to boost my confidence in myself again. In the scheme of things, I can manage, I don't have massive overheads, commitments or anything else. My equipment is bought and paid for, such as it is, I am only a small business, not a massive concern, I have no ambitions to be. All I've ever wanted is to do my jobs my way, with people I like to work for and with. It will never make me cash rich, but if I wanted a business to do that I would never choose arb anyway!