Hitch Climber.... Am I just a big fairy...?

WorcsWuss

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah it'll work. You could just girth hitch the webbing again onto the cs ring if you want to just extend it without it being adjustable. If you haven't got a ring a maillon is fine or a carabiner if it's all you got. An o rig lets you adjust how far your hc sits away/close to you, all you need is a bit of cord. Do a search for orig and I'm sure there will be pics the climbers section.

Thanks Drew, will have a look and try that...

Somebody call a vet because because this Swan is siick ! Ooooooosh !

31.jpeg

This is all you need , problem solved. :lol:

On a more serious , helpful note. I think you need to try it again , sounds like the combination of anchor point etc was really working against you. If you cambium saver is that short try girth hitching a pulley on tape sling as your anchor point. Less friction the better.

Friction was definitely the main problem, followed a close second by pulling technique... both of which would have been overcome if I toughened up a bit!

Sticky grip gloves will make all the difference the gloves your wearing are for belaying and letting rope slide through.... Seriously try the gloves!

Fair point about the gloves, I have used 'sticky' gloves before but I do prefer these, I find them very comfortable and they're grippy enough for me.... To be honest, if I can't climb on them then there's something wrong with my set up rather than the gloves, I've never had a problem with my open system before...

And ref Hitch Climber comments, of course, and it's not lost on me. So far as I can make out, the only difference between the HC Pulley and traditional is clutter on the ventral and the HC's natural ability to keep everything nicely lined up. In that respect it is just a slight variation on a theme, albeit one whichworks very well. I know that technically I was already a hitch climber on my open system!

Ok you have used them before .... Not on this system you havnt though !!! Seriously I don't know a climber who climbs arm over arm on a pulley system who does not .. I can appreciate what your saying as I used to wear that style all the time as well when climbing on an open hitch, but they are almost useless to hitch pulley style of climbing,if you don't find them noticeably more efficient especially on smaller diameter ropes I will eat my words.

have you tried the pictured set up? sorry its bad just got pics off google and edited. hope it makes sense. with this set up you just thrust away like on a prusic but pull from underneath the hitch. by doing this you then tend the hitch at the same time, just make sure you can reach the hitch to be able to get back down :thumbup:

Untitled.jpg.f119fbbc989aa30d8a0aafcae66e9635.jpg

Worcswuss, just to add to what Verminator and Drew is posting - you could consider placing the hitch temporarily further from you, thus creating a length of rope (below the hitch) that you can reach up for and pull down.

By searching 'extendable bridges for mr. shutler' you'll find pictures of ways to extend the hitch position (including the O-rig that Drew mentioned).

to extend your hitch away from you, buy a dyneema sling , 30 or 50cm seems to be a good length, and clip that from your bridge to bottom carabiner, no fancy knots or O rig system, really simple.

Nice one Rob, I was wondering when someone would mention this before I did. Attach the sling then pull from under the hitchclimber, easypeas. I had exactly the same prediciment until I found a link on here.

The search facility on this forum is awesome.:thumbup:

I've just read throught this thread and caught up!

With the method of using a micro pulley and schwabisch prussik you would have to pull your climbing rope from a very low position?, unlike a normal prussike where you can pull down from just below the actual knot

I'm probabaly wrong as i'm still using just a normal prussik myself lol!