customer wasting our time

likeitorlumpit

I've just had a call saying we hadn't succeeded with a quote- which is unusual to say the least (unusual to get a call that is) but when quizzed he said he had got 3 quotes and one from their preferred contractor who had got the job.

Now the job was £140 + VAT - a small takedown about 2 hours max for 2 men plus travel. We were spot on with price as I did ask.

Time to quote was 1 hour inc. 40 mile round trip

Is there anything you can say to these guys- getting many quotes in is not illegal but so many for such a small job seems immoral to me especially when you have someone in mind for the work.

I didn't give him a mouthful obviously but in hindsight would have liked to point this out to him in a respectful way.

Any ideas?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sometimes, I think you have to grin and bear it, or like it and lump it. We've had a quite a lot in landscaping - pricing up small jobs, even mowing ones, to find it's then done by a nephew or friend, or someone else they have in mind. It's annoying, but I don't think it's immoral.

The customer is window shopping at the contractors expense . Cost of doing business and is bound to happen sometimes but not always. I always liked the phrase from the customer "I think your going to have to sharpen your pencil a little more", translation I really want to see how hungry you are for work and how low will I go to work for nothing.

easy-lift guy

Not that unreasonable - happens lots round our way.

Often it seems they get a few quotes then get a friend/relative to do it for a bit/lot less than the lowest quote.

I've priced a few which were never ever done - lt's be honest.. who hasn't thopught about getting someone in to do a job that you 'might' want. So you get a few prices and maybe decide it just isn't that important.

I know we all subscribe to the professional/quality approach but there are loads of punters out there who shop at Lidl and wait at car boot sales at 6:00 am for bargains.

Just remember - why work for Lidl customers and earn nothing when you can be making a decent living working for wasitrose customers.

I don't have a problem with what has happened to the OP, on a plus side it shows what the market will potenially take in that area,

but what i will say is let me be gone before the next tree surgeon comes into quote :) had that happen the other day, infact, i know the other tree surgeon i used to work with him, the "potential customer" looked a bit awkward whilst i was having a yarn with the other tree surgeon :) asking how the wife and kids are etc.